• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long time Ford fan, first time Ranger owner

randi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello!

I've been lurking on the forum and figured I'd register. I must say, there's a wealth of information here. Thanks!

We just brought home a 94 Ranger, 4.0, 4x4, flareside. Other than smelling a little like an old motel inside, it's in pretty good shape. I think it will treat us very well.

I do have a few questions about it. I found some conflicting information regarding the Splash edition of Rangers. My Ranger does not have any graphics. How do I know if it's a Splash?

Regarding the 4x4, this is my first manual hub vehicle. I live in North Dakota, and we get piles of snow, so I figure I should know how to best use the system. I did test the 4x4, it worked great. What I am wondering is what is the optimal conditions for using the 4x4? Can I use it on scattered snow cover in high? What's the max recommended speed for high?

That's it for now, I've got a few other topics to search for, like speedometer reading 5mph too slow and an off kilter steering wheel. I'm looking forward to a lot of driving time in my Ranger.

Cheers!
:icon_cheers:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Howdy, & welcome to TRS.

I don't believe that there IS any other way to determine if it's a Splash or not. Aside from aluminum wheels & graphics on a flareside bed, that's it.

As far as snow goes, I have no experience with that here in Texas. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Welcome!

About driving in four high, it's not really recommended if you're going to be driving around in conditions that don't allow wheel-slip. It's most likely not going to cause catostrophic failure, but it's not really good on things, either. Say you go around a corner or curve, your front tires are going to want to travel at a slightly different speed than the back tires, which at least is going to cause a little more tire wear, up to causing binding in the transfercase itself which might not be enough to break anything, but will cause more wear. (I know you just asked about four high, but in four low, these problems would be even more exaggerated.) So unless you really think you'll need it, I would avoid driving around in four wheel drive. A better plan might be just to make sure you have good tires, not just with a lot of tread but that have good reviews on snow and ice, and to throw a little extra weight in the back of the truck, maybe some sand bags or concrete blocks if you have a way to keep them from sliding around.

randi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info! I just brought it in for a wheel alignment and to get the bearings repacked (ouch). So I think when I'm done there I'll just go get some sandbags to help with traction around town.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A Splash, will have, like was mentioned, the flareside bed, body colored grille and side mirrors, does it have power mirrors but NOT power door locks or windows?

-Boosty-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
welcome man. I live in MI and we usually get loads of snow too. As general knowledge amongst my 4wd buddies is 55mph in hi ive caught myself goin 60 before and backed down without incident. Low is 15-20 for us and thats screaming. Like said before make sure u can get a little wheel slip but short drives without isnt going to kill it. I try not to turn too sharp while in 4wd either. This is all opinion based/passed down knowledge nothing is tested or proven. However ive had my 150 for several years and with 170k on it everything works perfect, ive only replaced u joints.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals