• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flatbeds.................

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the bedliner out of my 09 4x4 Sport to find the bed is rusted badly...Big holes in the floor and wheel wells, the three inner cross rails have turned to dust. I pulled off the bed.....The frame cross member behind the cab was rotted but I welded in new metal..The frame rails are ok....I should have looked closer when I bought it....But the cab is still solid....
Finding a decent bed around here is near impossible....I have made flatbeds for other trucks in the past using oak boards instead of pressure treated that always looks like a picnic bench...But wood always looks like wood..
I see Aluma sells a nice looking bed in the perfect size for a Ranger, about 1500-1700 bucks...200 pounds....
Anyone have experience with these aluminum flatbeds?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
It's... your money..... your truck ....your decision.... your ..... And ..... All.... those dots!
If you can't find a Bed locally and means driving there is actually a discussion on how to carry one back upside down on the bed of the existing truck.... .... .... ....

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've seen a lot of steel flatbeds on rangers around here. they seem pretty nice. Main thing would be to make sure your lights will work and your fuel filler neck. Everything else is just hardware to get it mounted securely. If you're truck is as rusty as it sounds I would make sure you are getting it mounted to the frame really good. I had an old ranger and it was super rusted. I was surprised the bed stayed on as good as it did. Are you able to contact the manufacture and see if it fits directly to your ranger?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have made flatbeds for other trucks in the past using oak boards instead of pressure treated that always looks like a picnic bench...But wood always looks like wood..
]
The bed isn't supposed to be wood, just the decking. I like steel because you can weld anything you want to it, anywhere you need it. I like a wood deck because it is more quiet, softer and things aren't as prone to sliding. It's also easy and cheap to replace and doesn't rust underneath. But you can use diamond plate instead of wood to deck a truck bed--the bed itself is steel.

Aluminum is neat stuff, just not as versatile or as easy to modify or repair.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is a 6' bed I swear they about grow on trees. Anything 93-11 interchanges.

If it is a 7' bed... lets just say they don't grow on trees and I feel your pain.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Speaking from experence, unless your hauling pallets of stuff or hay, flatbeds are kind of a PITA.

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is a 6' bed I swear they about grow on trees. Anything 93-11 interchanges.

If it is a 7' bed... lets just say they don't grow on trees and I feel your pain.
It's a 6 foot...If they grow on trees, pick one and send it to me :D. The local dismantle yards have nothing good...Nothing on CL within reasonable driving distance..
A flatbed isn't by first choice.....but it might be the only choice..

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Dad loved flatbeds...especially home shopped flatbeds of steel frame and wooden bed.

The last one he built was a short bed on a short wheel base Ford F250. You could get that truck into all kids of tight spaces.

Not as tight as a compact Ranger though.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It's a 6 foot...If they grow on trees, pick one and send it to me :D. The local dismantle yards have nothing good...Nothing on CL within reasonable driving distance..
A flatbed isn't by first choice.....but it might be the only choice..

www.car-part.com

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i wish i would have built my flatbed the week before i bought my truck and installed it the day i got it.

i cant describe how much better it is for the stupid shit i do.

your not limited by choice here...no reason to flatbed one of these things if that is not your needs or style.

for sure you can, "all in".... including fuel costs to go get it.... purchase a good bed for 7-800 bux.

and if you are patient, get one with good matching paint.

15-1700 bux with no bedsides and tailgate is pretty stout money. not that a nice aluminum unit like that is not worth it.

is the truck worth that much? would a flat bed suit your needs?

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess the bottom line is it's my wife's truck and she wants a flatbed....My truck is an 03 Rustarado...:D

Here in NY and most likely in Pa and Ohio, any bed in a dismantler's yard is is likely to have a rusted floor and cross rails..Of course there's always the chance it's not rusty...When I call they say the bottom is good, they are busy and don't want to have to take time get better photos especially if the bed is still on the frame...I'm retired ,but still driving, 3-5 hours one way on a guy's word is a bit risky..
I'll make a few more calls tomorrow based on the leads in the link above that look promising...
I spent the last few days , hammering, scrapping and wire brushing the rust from the frame rails. As mentioned I repaired the cross members..I painted the frame behind the cab with a Chassis Saver..Then sprayed the entire frame and under side of the cab with Fluid Film...
I really got screwed on this truck purchase and need to make the best of it. It's got new tires, runs and drives excellent, has a good looking cab and front clip...If 350 bucks and several hours use on the table saw will make it better, that is a way out.....My retired friends are playing golf and riding around in new vehicles....They are missing out on all this fun...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know its a far drive but there's a recycling place here in Mansfield, Ohio called Milliron and they have TONS of vehicles in their yard. They are one of the biggest in Ohio. You can search their site and see if they have a truck with the same year/model. They don't normally have pictures but they keep their lot pretty clean and organized. You might be able to call them and have someone get pictures for you. They are not like your average scrap yard. Might be worth a trip. I know Ohio is a rust belt state but their are a few gems out their that are 90 percent rust free. They do a pick-n-pull too so you can get a lot of good parts for cheap.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Somehow a video for a Ranger Alumabed flatbed popped up in my youtube feed, by Southwest Trailers.

Found it on their website, over $7,000. You could probably buy a welder for that.

Then get him a nice welding machine a material to make to make a flatbed too.

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Somehow a video for a Ranger Alumabed flatbed popped up in my youtube feed, by Southwest Trailers.

Found it on their website, over $7,000. You could probably buy a welder for that.

Then get him a nice welding machine a material to make to make a flatbed too.
Aluma flatbed I showed in a photo earlier in this thread is $1500-1800 brand new at several places. ,not 7 grand. .I have a TIG welder ......I think material might cost 600-800 bucks?

By sheer luck I found a bed 120 miles from me on the NY PA border. It's a 2005 from Texas..Zero rust,the bottom looks like new a few slight dings..Had to pay a grand but it's way better than any beds I saw up to this one...
Taking a break at a burger joint before heading home...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals