• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water meets motor

Stoph345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well i made a stupid decision to go mudding last night in my 04 ranger and got apparently too deep into a puddle. We made it out with eaze under its own power but it instantly started to misfire badly and knock with the dummy light flashing. We let it sit for a goot 10 minutes to let it dry a little and tried her again and she started right up had a few misses but then ran pretty close to normal. Dummy light was gone but the terrible knock was still there. We checked the airbox and there was some water that sprayed in but it didnt seem to bring too much if any through the filter. Could i have bent a rod? What do i do? I am planning on pulling the plugs and turning it over to get any extra water out if some got in. I read some about cracking the manifold but would that make a really loud knock?

Please help as this is my daily driver, anything is appreciated. Thank you

Stoph345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Note: after the puddle i shut it off under its own power. Once i saw the dummy light and heard the knock i turned the key. The truck did not seem to lose power until after the puddle

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hydro-lock would be a good guess

Compression test with all spark plugs removed would be next
3.0l runs 9.3:1 ratio so you would expect 165psi at sea level to 2,000ft elevation, from each cylinder
If connecting rod did get damaged with hydro-lock then you will see lower compression on that cylinder

Connecting rod knock will go away or drop way down in noise level if that cylinder doesn't fire
So you can disable spark or fuel injector on each cylinder while idling to see if knock goes away.

For water or mud crossings you should have an electric cooling fan that you can shut off from inside the cab, mechanical fans spray water and mud all over the engine bay, causing all sorts issues.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Which light came on?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
He said Dummy Light, that must be the "Check Engine" Light, right?
Can't be, the CEL isn't a dummy light. It only comes on when the computer has specific information about an issue.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you didnt suck enough water in to kill it dead, you didnt hydrolock it. If you nosedived it then it quit, then id be saiing bent rod.

My guess is you got something electronic wet and fried it. If the CE is blinking that indicates missfire. A couple dead cylinders can make some noise.

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pull the coilpack and look for cracks in the epoxy. I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago. It also caused multiple misfires on humid days until I replaced the coilpack.

Stoph345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So now that its been a few days i have driven the truck to where i am going to work on it. When the motor warms up the knock nearly dissapears at idle. You can barely hear it on top of the motor. Underneath it sounds like someone is hitting the oil pan with a hammer. I did get 2 misfire codes (check engine light/dummy light) and also the MAF Sensor. The misfires were 1&6. Is there anything i can do or is starting over with a “new” motor my best bet?

Stoph345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also. The truck doesnt seem to misfire anymore. Which i believe is due to the water being all out of the motor and off of the plugs. It seems to have full power.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cold start engine so it has the knock
Unplug 1 spark plug wire at a time
If knock noise lessens when a spark plug is off then its a Rod knock, in that cylinder

Hydro lock can stop an engine dead in its spin, but if its just a little water/fluid then connecting rod and/or piston bends and engine continues to run with that damage.
People often do that kind of damage when trying to clean carbon out of the cylinders by adding Seafoam or similar cleaner to the intake while engine is running, an expensive "oops" if too much is added at one time
I guess for the semantics this wouldn't be hydro "lock" since engine did stop, but hydro damage was done none the less

Last edited:

Stoph345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cold start engine so it has the knock
Unplug 1 spark plug wire at a time
If knock noise lessens when a spark plug is off then its a Rod knock, in that cylinder

Hydro lock can stop an engine dead in its spin, but if its just a little water/fluid then connecting rod and/or piston bends and engine continues to run with that damage.
People often do that kind of damage when trying to clean carbon out of the cylinders by adding Seafoam or similar cleaner to the intake while engine is running, an expensive "oops" if too much is added at one time
I guess for the semantics this wouldn't be hydro "lock" since engine did stop, but hydro damage was done none the less
I did this the day after all of this happened. didnt see any effect in noise difference. the motor did NOT die. i actually did this to a grand am v6 in a flooded street but that motor completely locked. All i did on that was pulled the plugs and hit the starter to get as much water out as possible, put the plugs back in and she purred again. i dont know what else this could be... any other suggestions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals