• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rapid Flash Brake Lights for Gen 1

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Was following a new car the other day that had flashing brake lights. They would flash 6 times in about three or four seconds and then stay on solid. In my opinion it was great, got my attention immediately, and I was able to brake sooner. So I looked up on line and found a site that sold these modules (KAHTEC International). The only problem was that they specify that they are only for cars with separate brake and turn signal cars, which my 88 is not unfortunately. I ordered the module for the third brake light option with delay (in stop and go traffic it will not flash again unless you leave your foot off the brake for more than 8 seconds. Installed it at my brake light switch at the pedal and it worked great with the key in the off position. The problem came when I turned the ignition switch on, the module would not flash the lights. checked for voltage on the wiring to the stop lamps with ignition switch on and off, and found a that I had a very slight voltage with ignition on (tracked it down to back feeding from turn signal circuit). Barely reads on volt meter. Grabbed a 12V diode from the shelf and soldered it into the circuit to block this back feeding problem and it cleared up everything. Works perfect with the ignition switch on or off.

The Module from KAHTEC was about 30 bucks with shipping and about twenty minutes or so to install. So if you have ever wanted to install this option on a GEN 1 ranger, here you go.

Since I installed it I have had lots of people ask me where to get one. They have all said that it was great, gets there attention right away and focuses there attention back to the road ahead. (where it should have been in the first place :icon_thumby:)

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw these and they are cool. But are illegal in California because it blinks 6 times and the law states only 4 blinks. Don't think most cops would really care. Might order me one!!!

Babblu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Transmission
Automatic
Was leaving work today and noticed (mid 90's model but not entirely sure) a Ford Ranger being used by U.S. Air Force Law Enforcement to patrol the base.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They for sure get the attention of the person behind but you have to watch the laws. Some can only blink so many times according to what state you are in and the ones that wig wag are illegal in most. I had the wig wag set up on my Goldwing and a couple cops I knew at the time that saw it said they didn't give a damn if it was legal or not but that it should be legal be on motorcycles. Also some of the blinky/wig wag modules may have a problem for folks with led lights that may require a mod like the regular to led lights need the special flasher unit. Good post and thanks for the info on the fix.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals