• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help re-wiring headlights

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I had an issue with the multi-function switch, and when I put the housing back together I said "**** it" and left the high-beam toggle out of the assembly.

I figured this would just not let me switch high beams (not a big deal, I want to do separate high-beams in the near future) but it won't let my regular headlights turn on when I pull the switch out.

I looked into the tech articles and found one about setting up a relay to turn on the low beams when you have high beams on. But this doesn't seem like it would help me since I don't have a signal turning low beams OR high beams on.

How can I modify this relay so that it will let my low beams turn on normally? Also, I suppose I could take out the multifunction switch and TRY to re-assemble it with the high beam piece in it, but how the FLIP do I get it to stay put, and then thread into the housing, while just balanced on the piece of the stick that moves it?!

Need to get this done quick as it is staying darker later and I go into work at 0700.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the high/low dimmer switches power to both high and low beams, otherwise they would both be on at the same time and burn up the bulbs and damage the housings.

You could do what I did when mine died and change over to a floor switch. Cost me about $20.

You get a switch and a plug for an 80-something F-series, a couple feet of wire, put the power for the lights from the main switch to the center pin, then one side goes to the highs, one to the lows.

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds exactly like what I will want to do down the road. Any advantage to a floor switch VS possibly replacing the one in the dash with a dial? One with 3 settings, Off, Low, Hi? I will get it all jammed back together tonight just for safety but still want to get it off the multifunction if at all possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals