• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to C4 Swap

procadman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
(Started a new thread since the old one was nearly decade old.)

All help forums say one way to connect a 2.9 block to a c4 tranny is to use a C5 bellhousing.

My A4 has gone belly-up for the third time so I'm making this swap. (I only have about 60k on the 2.9 rebuild or I'd swap engine and tranny both.)

I have one question:

Do I need a specific C5 bellhousing or is one better than the other?

i.e.:
RF-C5AP-7976-A (Aluminum) (my preference)
c5ta 7505 b 390 (cast iron)
C5TA-7505-B (cast iron for 352 360 390 410 427 428)
C5TA-6394 (cast iron)
C5TA-6394-A (cast iron small blk)

As an update to my original question, I have recently been informed any 2.8 or 2.9 C5 bell housing will work for this swap.
My Ranger is 2wd so a drive shaft mod is not required like the 4wd models.

'89 Ranger XLT, extended cab, conversion (extended fenders with 50's, running boards, retro visor), tow pkg, tilt and electrics.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Safest bet is a Bronco II or Ranger C5... these would be like 83, 84 for sure, maybe an 85 truck but that was the transition year to the A4LD.

Other cars had C5's, find one with a 2.8 engine, some early Aerostar vans for example. Not very common. Anything else with a C5 would have been behind a V8 and would have Windsor pattern bellhousing and larger torque converter. Not usable in this situation.

You need the torque converter and flex plate with the C5 as well. Your current starter should work I think. The block plate/spacer plate (between engine and trans) from your A4LD is correct for this application. Also factor in kickdown cable (Lokar makes one) as well as an aftermarket shifter.

I will be curious to see if you need driveshaft length changes. A 4x4 C5 is about 2" shorter than a 4x4 A4LD... I had to change both driveshafts when I put a C5 in my Explorer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals