• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0420 Code

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 2010 Ranger 2.3L, with 69,500 miles. I was driving down the highway and the CEL light came on, so I got off the highway and pulled into the nearest Autozone to have checked. The guy said it's a P0420 code that the catalytic converter was plugged. Is there a way of confirming this? Federal warranty says its covered for 8 years, or 80K miles wich ever comes first. Vehicle was purchased 7/24/10.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's not plugged, Autozone just hires idiots. If it was plugged you would know about it.

It just isn't doing it's job anymore. I would check on your state laws about emissions warranties. The last I knew the 8/80 emissions warranty was not a Federal requirement and only applied to California emissions vehicles sold new and registered in CARB states. I don't know if Ohio is CARB or not.

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I took truck to the dealer today and mechanic said converters were bad. Ford tried to deny a warranty claim 2 different times, and wanted me to pay $2400 to replace them. I fought with them and said I would contact the EPA. I showed them the warranty book that came with the truck that showed it was covered. The service adviser said that Ford denies a lot of warranty claims all the time. I told him Ford does not stand behind their vehicles. He claims they have to jump through hoops and red tape to get things approved. He claims they have to video tape defective parts before corporate approves anything. After a lot of complaining and threatening to call Dearborn, he said I can try and submit it another way and see what happens. Finally after all that complaining which I shouldn't have had to do, Ford finally approved it saying it fell under "emissions defect warranty". Part is now on order. :mad:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like the dealer is the problem, not Ford. Ford does make you jump through some hoops to get things approved, but nothing like that. Yes, certain parts require pictures be sent in and such for prior approval, but those are for visual defects, a cat shouldn't fall under the prior auth program, unless that dealership is in huge trouble with Ford's warranty department.

EDIT: The few things Ford does require for warranty approvals are done to prevent fraud at the dealership and make sure that the correct parts are being replaced rather than attempts to deny legitimate claims.

Last edited:

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know one thing, I will never buy a domestic branded vehicle again. Half of them are made in Mexico anyway. I've owned Honda's, Toyota's, and Hyundai's and never had this problem with a warranty claim.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm kinda curious, what dealer was it?

by the way, my 2005 2.3 now has 326,xxx miles on the original cat.

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm kinda curious, what dealer was it?

by the way, my 2005 2.3 now has 326,xxx miles on the original cat.
PM'ed you on answer.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
is the temp gauge reading on the low side? if its running too cold the PCM may give a rich mixture, which is bad for cats.

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
is the temp gauge reading on the low side? if its running too cold the PCM may give a rich mixture, which is bad for cats.
No, running right in normal range. Something else caused cats to go bad for sure. Poor dealer diagnosis.

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Today I heard a loud rattle when when i started the engine. It sounded like a heat shield rattling. I climb under the truck and heat shield welds are nice and tight. Started engine and the rattle was coming from the inside the first converter. Part still on order.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Today I heard a loud rattle when when i started the engine. It sounded like a heat shield rattling. I climb under the truck and heat shield welds are nice and tight. Started engine and the rattle was coming from the inside the first converter. Part still on order.

that creates an interesting scenario.

back in my earlier days with the Taurus SHO certain conditions existed that ruined the cats. the real problem was when an engine with a bad cat was taken to hi RPMS then the throttle was abruptly closed. like when winding out a gear then coasting down. that can create a vacuum in the exhaust manifold which sucks cat fragments back into the cylinder. cat fragments being hard crunchy things are a cylinder walls enemy, no friend of the rings either. the result was low compression and massive oil consumption.

so keep the racing to a minimum and try not to worry about it.:shok:

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
that creates an interesting scenario.

back in my earlier days with the Taurus SHO certain conditions existed that ruined the cats. the real problem was when an engine with a bad cat was taken to hi RPMS then the throttle was abruptly closed. like when winding out a gear then coasting down. that can create a vacuum in the exhaust manifold which sucks cat fragments back into the cylinder. cat fragments being hard crunchy things are a cylinder walls enemy, no friend of the rings either. the result was low compression and massive oil consumption.

so keep the racing to a minimum and try not to worry about it.:shok:
I called the dealer and asked if it was safe to drive like this, and he said you won't have any problems with debris getting back into the engine. Somehow I don't believe him, especially now that the truck is out of warranty. Part seems to be coming in on a slow boat from China.

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update: I got new converters on today along with 2 new O2 sensors. Seems like it has a little more pep, who knows. Time to start checking MPG's. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals