• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Basic" 5.0 in a early Ranger...I'd love some input, critique and direction.

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
"Basic" 5.0 in a early Ranger...I'd love some input, critique and direction.

Planning my route, so I don't tear my truck down for a pile of parts I think I need, or don't...

I have a 1985 2.3 EFI Ranger 2wd currently, stock except for a M5od conversion from the old auto

I'm looking for a 96-97 v8 Explorer donor, to harvest, and the rest from a JY or order...

Complete Engine & exhaust
- Am I right thinking this'll just bolt in with Convertible Mustang mounts?
EEC-v Engine Management
- I'm not afraid of wiring...I'm hoping to make a stand-alone type harness, and just jump it to what's there.
8.8" rear-end...
- flip it, and disc stuff
M5od from a F150
- is there a shifter riddle? will the top cover interchange with my 2.3 M5od?

Do people keep the mechanical fan...is there even enough room? I see nice conversion radiators, but is there a cheap JY solution?

I've seen some grind on their steering boxes...is this necessary?

I know about the pan needing to be swapped, it's a Mustang pan? What do y'all do about your dipstick?

Hoping the Driveshaft yolk is the same as my 2.3, so hopefully I can get away with just swapping the diff flange and reusing my current DS

What else could I possibly be missing? What is going to hang me up?

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Planning my route, so I don't tear my truck down for a pile of parts I think I need, or don't...

I have a 1985 2.3 EFI Ranger 2wd currently, stock except for a M5od conversion from the old auto

I'm looking for a 96-97 v8 Explorer donor, to harvest, and the rest from a JY or order...

Complete Engine & exhaust

- Am I right thinking this'll just bolt in with Convertible Mustang mounts?

EEC-v Engine Management

- I'm not afraid of wiring...I'm hoping to make a stand-alone type harness, and just jump it to what's there.

8.8" rear-end...

- flip it, and disc stuff

M5od from a F150

- is there a shifter riddle? will the top cover interchange with my 2.3 M5od?

Do people keep the mechanical fan...is there even enough room? I see nice conversion radiators, but is there a cheap JY solution?

I've seen some grind on their steering boxes...is this necessary?

I know about the pan needing to be swapped, it's a Mustang pan? What do y'all do about your dipstick?

Hoping the Driveshaft yolk is the same as my 2.3, so hopefully I can get away with just swapping the diff flange and reusing my current DS

What else could I possibly be missing? What is going to hang me up?

I did a 5.8 swap so I'm sure 100% on all your questions but I'll try my best.

The convertible mustang mounts will bolt in, but keep in mind going with a setup like that will limit where you can put your engine. Ranger Svt made some
Sweet slotted mounts that work like a charm to locate the engine.

The exhaust headers are the tightest clearance of the exhaust system, I built my own headers so I'm not sure on that aspect of your swap.

8.8 will slide right in.

A rear sump pan is needed if you keep the stock ranger k member

I had enough room for a mechanical fan, but my motor is stuffed as far back as possible. Many people use a stock 4.0l radiator and it works fine for them it seems. You can also get a cheap aluminum radiator a universal ford fit from speedway for $120 or so.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will to either pull the pinion flange and drill and tap the smaller pattern to go with your smaller u joints or change driveshafts (probably not the worst idea going to a 5.0 anyway)

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had planned on a nice aluminum radiator anyway, I'm most concerned with being able to retain mechanical fan.

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You will to either pull the pinion flange and drill and tap the smaller pattern to go with your smaller u joints or change driveshafts (probably not the worst idea going to a 5.0 anyway)
I recall, when I swapped in my m5od, I used the new, '88 driveshaft and only swapped pinion flange to work with my stock '85 axle.

The driveshaft is a fresh retube and balance. I'm confident it's sufficient, so long as the length is right and yolk is the same on my 2.3 vs he v8 trans.

U joints were actually the same...Ford uses the same u-joint on a lot of stuff, so hopefully it's as easy as swapping the pinion flange. Worst case, I buy a custom driveshaft...not my style but if it's what I've got to do, so be it. At least ally my clutch hydraulics are new, and appear to work with the new v8 setup, and I have a new poly trans mount already.

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I need to know more about the engine oil dipstick riddle. I'll go to a Mustang Rear sump, but what will I do for a dipstick? What do the mustangs do?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recall, when I swapped in my m5od, I used the new, '88 driveshaft and only swapped pinion flange to work with my stock '85 axle.

The driveshaft is a fresh retube and balance. I'm confident it's sufficient, so long as the length is right and yolk is the same on my 2.3 vs he v8 trans.

U joints were actually the same...Ford uses the same u-joint on a lot of stuff, so hopefully it's as easy as swapping the pinion flange. Worst case, I buy a custom driveshaft...not my style but if it's what I've got to do, so be it. At least ally my clutch hydraulics are new, and appear to work with the new v8 setup, and I have a new poly trans mount already.
The pattern on my '85 driveshaft was quite a bit smaller than the one on my '96 8.8. I did pull the flange and drill a new pattern in mine so what I had would work. The Explorer joints are quite a bit bigger than what they put in my '85, IIRC they didn't start putting that size of joint in the rear driveshaft on a Ranger until around when the 4.0's came out in '90.

I need to know more about the engine oil dipstick riddle. I'll go to a Mustang Rear sump, but what will I do for a dipstick? What do the mustangs do?
Ford Racing makes a new foxbody dipstick (in chrome) that will work with a mustang pan. About $30.

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, driveshaft is the easiest hurdle to overcome.

Good to know on the dipstick...I figured there had to be a No-Fab solution. Sounding like mustang mounts will be my best friend, so motor/trans will be a bolt in

I haven't even thought about throttle cable till just now. What's the recipe?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I had it to do over again I would use V6 mounts with plates. More adjustabillity.

It didn't fit perfectly (a tad long) but I used the original throttle that was from my 2.8. It was stiff from the extra coil but it got exercised enough it is normal now.

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
But did it "plug n play"? I wonder if my 2.3 cable will be enough?

Also, back to the m5od...can I simply swap top covers with my m5od-r1, to maintain the same shifter location?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
RE: the stock fan--plate mounts on the V6 mounts allowed plenty of room for the stock Explorer fan in mine. Works great with no hassles.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
SVT here on the forum makes these or you can find the drawings and make them yourself. They sit right on top of the V6 mount:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is this a more recommended setup than the Mustang Mounts?
I had no luck using the Mustang mounts. Too much of a pain in the ass and no adjustability. I had to keep my motor forward due to my zf5.

I used v6 mounts and motor plates. Not nearly as fancy as SVT's but they work for my application. IMHO adjustability is priceless in a v8 swap.

Either one will work. BTW I bolted v6 motor mounts to my 4cyl truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals