• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My New To Me 1998 Explorer XLT 4WD

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
So I got an explorer so I could take my wife, son, and soon to be born daughter places after my rangers tranny went.
It has 118,7xx miles on it now, I paid $2,200.00 for it. Previous owner flashed the check engine light; so I thought there were no problems. Turns out p0304(misfire cyl 4) was a bad spark plug. I went to put new ones in and found out owner probably NEVER changed them. The wires took so much strength to take off, and the plugs were rusted. Once new Motorcraft plugs were put in; it came back to life. I obviously put a new coil pack and wires, changed oil to castrol syntec 5w30(my ranger needed 10w30 or engine would tick). It also threw a slow response from bank 2 sensor 1 or something, p0153. I changed plugs and it hasn't said that since so maybe it just needed plugs, well find out as I've gone 275 miles and no CEL yet.
Curious as this is my first explorer. It looks like my 265/75/16 BFGoodrich A/T's may have a bit of trouble fitting. Anyone else lucky enough to not have to crank torsion bars and put on warrior 153 shackles to fit 31.5 inch tires? Wonder if I'll have to... I hate junking the ranger but I have to.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did the old plugs have the green dot on the top?

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm... I didn't look. They were same ones I put in, motorcraft platinum. I can take a pic cause I still got em. Green dot would identify them as from factory? The gap on the plugs; almost twice what the ones I put in were; .054. SP500 model number.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals