• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear driveshaft again

ohiojack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been trying to find a replacement drive shaft for my 1987 Bronco 2. First I tried to get one from a junkyard and ended up with one in worst shape then the one I had. I then tried to get a rebuilt/new shaft from Napa/Autozone/Advance auto. Advance said the shaft's had a different length between 2wd and 4 wd drive version's and the 4wd version was not available. Autozone and Napa had the same type 30 and a quarter inch long. I got the one from Napa, a gkn conversiontype. And it was about a half inch too long fully compressed. What gives!!!! Please help my drive shaft is about to give up the ghost. Any ideas???:icon_confused:

ohiojack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It has the auto in it.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I see. You might want to change your profile.

In that year, they were still putting FM145 manual transmissions in the Bronco 2's. The A4LD automatic is longer than an FM145, by 2" if I remember correctly. They were probably giving you one for a manual transmission.

The other thing you could do is have them give you one for a '88 to '90 Bronco 2, since those used the 2" longer FM146 manual, which is the same length as the A4LD automatic.

Or you could go to http://www.rockauto.com and get part number 659822. But that costs a lot of money.

What I did when I put an M5OD manual (same length as A4LD automatic) in my '87 Bronco 2, was go up to the junkyard and find an '88-'90 Bronco 2 that had the GKN conversion driveshaft in it. That will be the proper length. The owner of the junkyard charged me $20 and I was on my way. Even better, it still had good u-joints in it!

Let me know how it goes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals