• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it easier to rebuild the auto trans or is it just better off doing a 5 speed swap?

Lost reverse today. Went to walmart to have a tire fixed for a camper came back to where the camper was put the wheel back on then went to back up to it to hook up to it and the b2 didn't move all i heard was grinding metal and that it. And has hard time putting it into park with a grinding noise when going into park but it don't do any of that when putting it into drive for some reason.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rebuilding a transmission is not really a job for the backyard mechanic...

Most people say just do a 5-speed swap and then you never have to deal with the a4dl bumming you out again.

Alternatively you could get a used auto tranny from, say, a 91-92 explorer, and use that. In certain situations this is the cheapest option. (Some wreckers put trannies on sale for like $50)

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 BII that had an A4LD auto tranny. I made the mistake of trying to get it repaired/ rebuilt. I spent almost $3000 over 3.5 months and still had a bad tranny. I finally made the decision to get a M50D and 4.0 clutch out of an Explorer. (whole Exp cost $500) and then had a reputable tranny remanufacturer go thru it and replace everything that could wear ($800). I did the swap myself following all the info and help I could get from this awsome site.
There was a very noticable difference in power, MPG's and overall performance after the swap.
My advice.......Save some money, and anguish. Do the M50D swap. you will be happy you did, when it's all done.

BTW, I've got a SWEET, spare A4LD laying in the yard with mostly new parts, and ALL the accesories for sale, cheap......;)

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wound up putting a manual in mine. When I bought my b2 the tranny wasn't very old it would go about ten miles in the woods and drop all the fluid on the ground and I would have to walk home happened about four times between two auto trannies.I know I might be bitter but I think there junk.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Considering its at least 1200 dollars to rebuild a A4LD, I'd go for the M5OD swap. Find a exploder and steal its manual tranny and pedals. I'mdoing one here shortly.

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I know this is slightly off topic but I figure I'll jack this thread...

Got a built 85 BII that I do a good bit of rock climbing in and am trying to get rid of the 5-speed. Can someone point me to a link to which auto's bolt in, best one... all that stuff. I guess what I want to know is what's different between the 4wd auto and 4wd standard? Bell housing? tail housing? I need to keep the same t-case as well since I'm running a BW Doubler. C5 perhaps?

Just entertainment:

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
This isn't a very active forum, is it? The Jeep forums that I cruise would have had 10 responses in 14 hours. lol

Oh well.

I've been looking thru the tech library and I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the a4dl is the only bolt in auto. you probably want a tranny from an early explorer paired with a 2.9l b2/ranger torque converter.

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
the a4dl is the only bolt in auto. you probably want a tranny from an early explorer paired with a 2.9l b2/ranger torque converter.

Alright, thanks for the info. All this stuff I keep reading is constantly contradicting itself. One person says one thing and another person says something else. I know this topic gets beat to death but I just want a straight answer.

This is a strictly offroad vehicle so I don't care about highway speeds... I just want an auto. I want something that will be fairly strong.

Does the A4LD need electronics or is it going to be direct bolt in?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The a4ld and the c5 are the only bolt on autos. I would stay away from the a4ld, they tend not to be good. I dont know anything about the c5, but i have heard it is a pretty good transmission bu is only a 3 speed. Best bet would be to say with the manual.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The a4ld and the c5 are the only bolt on autos. I would stay away from the a4ld, they tend not to be good. I dont know anything about the c5, but i have heard it is a pretty good transmission bu is only a 3 speed. Best bet would be to say with the manual.
The C5 is shorter (driveshaft and crossmember mods required) and requires a different shift linkage for both the tranny and t-case (if applicable)

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The A4DL has a bad rap, but I believe a lot of it is unwarranted. That being said, automatic transmissions are what they are, especially ones made 15+ years ago.

This gives a bit more info on the other trannies available, mainly the c3 and c5.
http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.html

The c5 lacks an Overdrive, and I have no idea how easily one goes into a b2.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've had awesome luck with my a4ld. I actually started a thread awhile back titled "why hate on the a4ld" look it up. Lol.

I've ran mine hard and ain't had any issues.

And in my opinion the a4ld is stupid simple to tear down and rebuilt. I rebuilt mine from the doner EX before i put it in. Just get a good rebuild book with diagrams.

All in all I csn NOT complain about my auto. Now given the chance would I put a MDO5 in it, heck yeah. You better believe it

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I've had awesome luck with my a4ld. I actually started a thread awhile back titled "why hate on the a4ld" look it up. Lol.

I've ran mine hard and ain't had any issues.

And in my opinion the a4ld is stupid simple to tear down and rebuilt. I rebuilt mine from the doner EX before i put it in. Just get a good rebuild book with diagrams.

All in all I csn NOT complain about my auto. Now given the chance would I put a MDO5 in it, heck yeah. You better believe it

Glad to hear some success out of it.

I guess the main thing I need to know is what wiring needs to be done to go from the 5-spd to the A4LD...

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The C5 is shorter (driveshaft and crossmember mods required) and requires a different shift linkage for both the tranny and t-case (if applicable)
Didn't know that, glad someone corrected me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals