• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

reseting the odometer?

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
reseting the odometer? (exempt on title)

Im rebuilding the 2.8l in my new 85 b2, While messing around takin stuff out for cleaning/ repair I got to the the gauge cluster. I figured I would go ahead and attempt to reset the odometer, since its older that 25 years and the title has the exemption for incorrect odo reading I figured I would reset it to 0 to co-inside with the rebuild. I took the gauge out and found out that you can wind it backwards to reverse it, is there any quicker way? I figured that a drill hooked up to an adapter might work, but can it be taken apart to be reset. I couldn't figure out how to get the pins out without bending metal, and at that point i might as well make an adapter for the drill. Any bright ideas would be awesome. Thanks

Last edited:

Jason_J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
May not wanna post that on an open forum considering the whole illegal aspect.

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
the odometer is already marked as exempt on the title, so would it still be illegal....i wouldnt think so...but shoot if im wrong i wont mess with it haha!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Drill is the only way really... Drill and alot of time...

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
i did it with a drill when my tranny was out, i took the plastic gear off the end of the other side of the cable, it has like a square end on the cable and i just threw it in the drill chuck, threw some tape on the trigger and continued to work for awhile. it worked but took a looooong time to do.

then in my lack of focus i almost forgot about it and almost ran it past zero lol. i woulda been pissed.

it may be illegal but im never gonna sell my truck so shove it if ya got a problem with it.

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
yeah looks like the drill is what im gonna do. From the little bit of research I did it seems that vehicles even greater than 10 years are not tracked anymore...they get exemptions in the title...the odometer tracking is mainly for resale value of the vehicle. But im nvr gonna sell mine either...so it will work for me to see the actual rebuilt engine mileage rather than some random number that really has no bearing anymore on the vehicle! Thanks again for the help.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Yea drill is the easierway. Being legal wouldn't matter. On my b2 it rolls over at 99,999 so it wouldn't matter. Resetting at an engine rebuild. Is good as it allows u to keep up with all the intervals and things

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals