• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating and intermitent heating in cab...

scumsb2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, how are you guys? I have a 88 B2 fuel injected V6 4x4 auto tranny. I need some help because over the last week the heating stopped working. I live in Reno, NV and we have a ton of snow here so it is freezing and I can't defrost my windows. Anyway, the heater will not work...then AFTER it makes a rumbling/scratching/gurgling like sound from the passenger side firewall area...the heating will work for a little bit. Then it will get cold again...then hot, and so on.

This wouldnt normally bother me except my vehicle started running hotter. I have had my B2 for 3 years and it has ran great. For the first time ever my service engine light went one because the temp gauge went so high I couldnt see the needle. Then...the noise from the passenger side floor panel happened and my coolant temp dropped. The service engine light went off.

Any ideas as to what it is and how I can fix it? This is my only vehicle in the winter time and I need it to work. Any links to how to's for fixing things would be great.

Thanks!:icon_cheers:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That gurgling is coolant and air in your heater core. Being that you have been over heating your 2.9 chances are that you have a cracked head, and the combustion is filling the cooling system. Check your coolant level, and your oil for any coolant. You are at least low on coolant, or need to bleed your cooling system. Thats if your lucky.

scumsb2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So what if my head is not cracked, then how do I fix it? It runs fine, no lose of power, no leaking, and no funny smells.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Open the overflow resevoir and see if it smells like fuel

jhammel85

This might be a dumb question but hows the coolant level? Any air in the system?

scumsb2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I filled it up today at lunch and I also bought a new radiator cap...I will drive it home tonight and see how it goes. I just had the fluids changed and the radiator was supposed to be topped off so it was low, but not too low.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Might have a sticky thermostat as well.

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
an easy thing to do would be to take the 5 screws out that hold the heater core support on, if coolant comes out when you take the plastic support off then the core is cracked and its cheap and easy to replace. If the bottom isnt moist with fluid then go ahead and take the two lines off from the core in the engine bay area and drop the core out, carefully inspect it for any cracks or evidence of leakage. If its a small enough crack then it may be holding fine but every once in a while it may build up enough psi to "gurgle" out the crack. Its easy enough to check that, took me about 10 mins to replace the core in mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals