• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mild 4.0 OHV motor build suggestions

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I took my expo to the Mojave trail while en route to the MINT 400 in vegas last weekend and siezed my motor in a big water crossing. It wouldn't turn over at all after pulling plugs, socket on the crank, and trying to pop start with a clutch dump... So I pulled the motor out of my spare X last night and am contemplating build options.

I was planning on just putting a new head gasket kit on it- (I ordered the more expensive 150$ Victor reinz HG kit off rock auto that included new head bolts)... but now want to give it a little power in addition to a head rebuild. I have to pull the heads off both motors because I have at least one cracked head in my spare expo. Is there a cam thats under $200 out there that will work best in the 3-4k rpm (for prerunning) and moderate 4x4 trail usage with just cone intake and exhaust? I also need to pass cali smog with it.

Any quick tips i can Do to the heads while they're out to gain power? These bolts going through the exhaust ports seem restictive so i was going to put shorter bolts in. I don't want to spend time and money porting them or on headers or roller rockers. My local shop will do a head job and a 3 angle valve for cheap. Is there a piston option i can throw in for an extra 10-20 hp? I looked at morengo (or however you spell it) and they're too pricey for me right now as I'm in escrow for a house so need to do this as cheaply as possible while gaining a lil extra go juice.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Was having fun...

Almost made it

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The Comp 422 cam runs around $250, but requires springs and push rods in addition..The stock heads don't have much left to give with it comes to port and polish really...The castings are too thin to allow removal of any material.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals