• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noisy engine surging when in low gear.

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
1994 2.3l XLT extended cab 5spd.
Whenever I put my foot down and get up to the top end of first or second, then let my foot off the gas while still in gear, it feels like the motor 'bounces' noisily one or two times. Think of engine braking when you're in a low gear at a high RPM. Not like when you let the clutch out way too fast, but more like how the motor lurches forward slightly in the engine bay when under load. The RPMs stay consistent and it usually settles down after a bump or two. Something is rattling each time the engine catches itself before it settles down. I'm trying to pretty pin down how to eliminate this issue, anyone have a similar issue?

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If the engine is actually lurching around under the hood, I would check the motor mounts.

When you release the gas pedal prepatory to up shifting, to avoid over-revving, the engine will slow down, and if you are near the cutoff, the protection service of the computer may be trying to prevent over-revving. The ignition will be cut at certain rpms when the transmission is in neutral. If the switch thought you were in neutral, it might be cutting.
tom

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I would check Motor mounts

Set e-brake or block tires
Open hood
Start engine and put in 1st gear
Left clutch out and watch the engine, it will lift up slightly on one side, SLIGHTLY.
Now do the same in Reverse, engine will slightly raise up in opposite direction.
Then should be no "clunk", or any noise, when you apply or release pressure.
Also watch shifter when doing the tests, it should only shift slightly to one side then the other

Last edited:

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
Yes, I would check Motor mounts

Set e-brake or block tires
Open hood
Start engine and put in 1st gear
Left clutch out and watch the engine, it will lift up slightly on one side, SLIGHTLY.
Now do the same in Reverse, engine will slightly raise up in opposite direction.
Then should be no "clunk", or any noise, when you apply or release pressure.
Also watch shifter when doing the tests, it should only shift slightly to one side then the other
When I'm driving around in gear, I definitely notice that the shifter will move when I hit the gas, especially in lower gears. Any advice on replacing the motor mounts on a 2wd? Am I looking at pulling the engine, or is there enough play to jack the engine up and swap them out from underneath?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can replace motor and transmission mounts without pulling engine.

Yes, you need to support engine or trans when doing this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals