• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is they what causing oil spilling all over engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
I Bout a remnaufacured cylinder head for 350 bucks and i started my engine and the oil is spilling i mean pouring out the front, I literally tried redoing the valve cover gasket 4 times and same result are these bad seals? Also what about the sprocket bolt if that's not torque down will it leak oil to?if so i gonna be pissed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
It looks like the cam seal was never put in, thats behind the sprocket right?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not familiar with the 4 cylinder motor but in the pic the arrows point at a bearing cap. I see rocker on either side so the pic isn't of where the seal would go but where a bearing would go.
If the timing belt is on the outside of the valve cover then the seal would be on the inside of the sprocket.
Can you post a pic of the whole head so I can see what's happening?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
What is the stuff pointed to by the rightmost arrow? Sealant? Curls of cam bearing metal? RTV silicone? It should not be there as far as I am concerned.

The frontmost cam bearing will have a seal on the sprocket side of the support, pressed in behind the sprocket, before the sprocket is installed. It should be visible with the sprocket removed.
If you have oil pouring out the front of the cylinder head, I think there may be two possible sources. The seal on the frontmost bearing, or one of the pipe plugs used to close the bore drilled for oil to travel to the lifter supports. There should be a small diameter plug on the lower right of the front surface of the head that aligns with the supports. There's an oil passage drilled from front to rear that flows the lube to operate the lifters, etc. It should have a plug. You would get a deluge of oil if it was missing.
tom

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What is the stuff pointed to by the rightmost arrow? Sealant? Curls of cam bearing metal? RTV silicone? It should not be there as far as I am concerned.
Looks like its just assembly lube to me.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
I will post a pic guys one sec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
So here is what i'm referring to the oil is leaking right from behind the sprocket so i found this seal in my cylinder head gasket set do this go on cam behind the sprocket?

Attachments

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If it matches the diameter of the cam bearing immediately behind the sprocket, and there is no seal there now, I'd vote to install it. IF the oil is coming out from behind the sprocket.(It should be a real gusher if so)
You may want to get some plastic pipe (or metal), to use to drive the seal into position. The seal should be installed by pressing on the outermost diameter as that part is metal and can withstand the pressure needed to push it into place. Push in the middle, and you will deform the rubber part, and perhaps knock loose the 'garter spring' that holds the gizzards of the seal against the metal cam shaft surface.
If you can't do it, take it to someone who can. The pipe (a large socket may do if deep enough and proper diameter) should touch around the perimeter of the seal, and be long enough to protrude past the end of the camshaft. Push/hammer in until the seal is even with the surface of the head.
tom

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased a new complete head for $350. It clearly stated that Front Seal was NOT included.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
I recently purchased a new complete head for $350. It clearly stated that Front Seal was NOT included.
Yep. The shop where I bought mine purposely put the cam gear on (loosely) backwards so I would not forget.
Also, the manual states that if you are using the same cam bolt you need to use thread sealer. If not it will leak. Ask me how I know...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals