• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Computer on 2000 2.5l???

Rangerfan2.5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Was throwing several codes one was for the throttle position sensor. Another was a misfire on cylinder 2. Took it to the local mechanic he said the computer was bad and the only option is to get a $1,200 computer from Ford. Is this guy smoking crack? I literally went online and found several sites that sold computers for my truck for under $200. Not sure if it has the passive theft system on it pretty sure it doesn't. All these sites are saying their computers come flashed with your Vin code you give them. And that they are Plug and Play. Is that seriously all there is to it. If that's so I think I'll keep my money and tell him to just charge me a diagnostic fee

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Was throwing several codes one was for the throttle position sensor. Another was a misfire on cylinder 2. Took it to the local mechanic he said the computer was bad and the only option is to get a $1,200 computer from Ford. Is this guy smoking crack? I literally went online and found several sites that sold computers for my truck for under $200. Not sure if it has the passive theft system on it pretty sure it doesn't. All these sites are saying their computers come flashed with your Vin code you give them. And that they are Plug and Play. Is that seriously all there is to it. If that's so I think I'll keep my money and tell him to just charge me a diagnostic fee

No 2000 2.5 L rangers have coded keys (PATS). Pretty much you just swap them out and you are good.

The main thing you need to match is the part number and “catch code”. Also the year, engine, and transmission (auto or stick).

Catch code is on a sticker in the passenger side fender area. Like a 1”x1” sticker. Mine is RH22 IIRC. Should also be on the computer itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Can't tell from here. Does he have any crack smoking symptoms?
Yes, computer swapping is not too difficult. If you can induce someone to pay you $1200 to change their computer, would you do it? IOW, do you have a conscience?
Any way, you can order from the parts stores, or actually find out what's wrong as an alternative.
TPS code and a P0302 misfire on #2 would be handled separate from replacing the computer. TPS - you can clean them, as all they are is a 'volume control' that tells the computer how open the throttle plate is. Misfire can be spark, fuel, or mechanicals. Spark would be the plug, wires, boot or COP or coil, depending on vintage / engine.
Fuel would be pump, filter, fuel line, regulator or injector, computer running those a the last spot in the list generally.
Mechanical would be the induction system, MAF, ribbed air tube, throttle, intake manifold, valves, pistons, rings. Computer involved in reading what the MAF sends.

I would pull spark plug & wires for #2(passenger side plugs). How old are the plugs? The wires? Do you see a 'light show' if you open the hood with the engine idling after sunset?(dark thirty) Plug wires can degrade and cause misfire. Again, computers far down the list.
Or, just give the guy your money and make sure he agrees, 100%, that if this does not fix it, you get your money back, 100%, no questions asked. If he agrees to that, ... well it's up to you. I bet a nickel he will not. (cuz he's likely a 'parts changer', and could not analyze a problem and reach a conclusion and propose a solution to save $1200 if it was his own vehicle)
tom

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I feel your pain, but it sounds like you went to somebody, just out to get you.

Is it actually a bad computer? They don't go bad very often!

The trouble is, if you have old car or truck, and you don't know how to do most or a lot of the work, you are going to be spending a lot of money getting things fixed.

In my case I can honestly say: "been there done that"!

Ford Rangers I'm still learning about. I have a long way to go, but I'm getting there!

After 3 years I decided to get another truck instead of doing excessive amounts of work to make the truck I have into the one I want.

1200 bucks can get you another truck easily!

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hell $40 can get you a computer at the local u pull yard.

Rangerfan2.5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Basically I bought this truck as a gas saver and to reduce mileage on my f-150. The guy I bought it from tried to fix the problem himself, new wires, new plugs, new tps, basically just threw a bunch of new parts at it. Thought the mechanic I went to was trust worthy he is very well recommended in my town. He said he has had this issue before and putting in a new computer fixed the issue. He said it has the same symptoms as the previous trucks he diagnosed and fixed. He said the rest of the motor seems fine, good compression and other electrical looks good. He said he has seen some where the converters plugged and backed up egr and that destroyed the whole motor. So I don't know what to think. I guess I'll see what he wants to charge me for the time he has into it and then fix the issue myself when I have time. The truck has very little power it won't go over 65-70 mph. You can't even use 5th gear.

So if I swap the PCM or whatever you want to call it do I have to go buy new keys at the dealership? I only have 1 key. And seem to remember a long time ago you had to have 2 keys for Ford to reprogram of do anything.

Rangerfan2.5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Basically I bought this truck as a gas saver and to reduce mileage on my f-150. The guy I bought it from tried to fix the problem himself, new wires, new plugs, new tps, basically just threw a bunch of new parts at it. Thought the mechanic I went to was trust worthy he is very well recommended in my town. He said he has had this issue before and putting in a new computer fixed the issue. He said it has the same symptoms as the previous trucks he diagnosed and fixed. He said the rest of the motor seems fine, good compression and other electrical looks good. He said he has seen some where the converters plugged and backed up egr and that destroyed the whole motor. So I don't know what to think. I guess I'll see what he wants to charge me for the time he has into it and then fix the issue myself when I have time. The truck has very little power it won't go over 65-70 mph. You can't even use 5th gear.

So if I swap the PCM or whatever you want to call it do I have to go buy new keys at the dealership? I only have 1 key. And seem to remember a long time ago you had to have 2 keys for Ford to reprogram of do anything.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Most locksmiths can program the computer/key combination if they have the proper equipment. You can obtain a second key blank and have it cut & programmed to be recognized by the PATS by the locksmith. Likely at a lower cost than the dealer.
If you don't have a local source for keys, they are available on the web, brand new, but you'll have to take them to be cut & programmed.
At some point, FoMoCo embedded the VIN into the computer. I think it was about the same time they moved the computer out from the kick panel. Dunno the year.
If you have that version, you would need to have the information recorded from your original computer and then loaded into the replacement. The replacement can be from a boneyard or parts store, or Ford.
Low power in many cases is either fuel supply, or restricted exhaust, especially if the mechanicals of the engine are in good condition. You can check back pressure using the O2 sensor bung for access, or remove the sensor to allow exhaust to flow, but don't burn anything up while doing a short test. Check fuel pressure and flow, and air filter & intake for restriction.
tom

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For the 2nd time. A 2000 2.5L doesn’t use a chipped key. You don’t have to program keys to the new PcM.

Rangerfan2.5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So here is where I'm at with the truck. the mechanic I took it to has had it for over 3 months, he replaced the computer because he said it had burnt wires on it. He also said he is had several other mechanics look at the truck and cannot find the problem. He says the truck runs fine for a couple minutes then starts missing and losing power and the cylinder 2 misfire code keeps popping up. He thinks its a problem inside the engine. So bottom line is he is charging me 500 dollars for the computer and I am back to square one with a truck that doesnt run right. Great!!!! Does anyone have any idea on what I should do? Because I'm about 10 seconds from taking the left over 20lbs of tannerite I have to blow this thing up.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Correct me if I have this wrong:

You brought the truck, which could reach 65-70 at the time(per above post) to a 'mechanic' who replaced the computer.
It now will not run for more than a few minutes.

The 'mechanic' assured you(above) that the engine was fine.

The 'mechanic' now says there must be a problem inside the engine.

Maybe he should look for a new profession.

His diagnostic ability is rivaled by some cats & dogs, or other furry critters.

You need a new mechanic. He should refund your money as he has made it WORSE.

Burned wires on a computer ... indicate ( if EXTERNAL) too much current.

There are NO WIRES inside the computer. There are circuit traces on the board.

Did he show you the 'burned wires", or did you OK the replacement w/o seeing the 'bad' computer?
IF the computer would start and run the engine, then it was not so bad. Ask him to put the old one back in, and refund your money as he has no idea what is wrong.

Remember, he is supposed to be the PROFESSIONAL. He is TAKING MONEY for a job he is expected to PERFORM, a SERVICE. He is taking money under false pretenses as he has not done any service except make things worse. Unless your posts are telling me something that is not exactly the case.
Get a refund.
tom

OH, get a new mechanic, or learn.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I agree with what others are saying. A short inside the computer could damage some wiring in the harness but there are no wires in the computer just solder points. I would ask for at least a partial refund being he made everything worse. I can't imagine how you go from a bad pcm to a faulty engine. That is one extreme to the other to me.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
This whole story is very sad to read.

It almost sounds like you can't fend for yourself.

Everybody can see you're being taken for a ride but you.

If you really are unable to deal with this find somebody to do it for you! could be your daddy, mommy, or somebody in a dark suit!

Coming here to rant is rather unproductive you don't even say where you're located so nobody can offer to come help!

Rangerfan2.5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I mean what can I do? hes got me by the balls. If I dont pay hell just get a lien and keep my truck. Bitching wont help either. He says that computer cant be changed back to the old one because he sent it in for a core and they offer no refunds. What he now tells me is the truck runs fine for a couple minutes then starts missing like it was doing all the time before. Misfire on cyclinder number 2. I have not seen the truck for 3 months because I'm almost 2 hours from where I have it being worked on. I took another job and moved away right after I bought this truck. He said he is only charging me the money cost of the computer and nothing else. All I know is what the guys telling me and I agree it sounds like horse shit. But what can I do? take him to small claims? yea right

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
If he is only charging you the cost of the parts then even he knows he is pissing in the wind on this one. At least he treated you right on that. The mass air flow sensor, coil packs, and fuel injectors need to be checked. Make sure the new plugs wires are not burnt or melted anywheres.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals