• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ranger 4x4 Ground Up Restoration

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I fixed the image links for the old photos and added some new ones so have a peek at those. Here are some other photos that I haven't posted yet.

Custom full stainless steel exhaust fabricated by Lou's Custom Exhaust. They did a phenomenal job

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Trashing the old nasty grey carpet for nice new black carpet.

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Even after sitting for 5 months over the winter everything still looks pretty damn good. A few touch ups here and there and it will be perfect. The tranny is now out and being rebuilt, for the 2nd time. :annoyed:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Looking really good man.

That full stainless exhaust is super slick.

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My transmission issue has been resolved finally! It only took 6 months but it seems to be good to go. Time to get back hitting it hard.

Last edited:

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Getting the interior of the bed patched and sprayed with U-Pol Raptor bed liner. I'm very impressed with the quality of it. I'll be using it on a few of the exterior pieces when the time comes

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have pretty much everything squared away before I bring it to the body shop and get started on the body. I'm getting excited that I coming up to the finish line.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Looking good!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you do the bedliner yourself? If so any special tools needed? (What kind of gun?)

I want to do that if I ever find a better bed for mine. I also wouldn't mind doing the rockers so they don't get beat up from gravel as much.

Truck is looking awesome, that color really pops :icon_thumby:

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am really enjoying this thread. I want to make my '92 the same color, such a beautiful color.

Keep up the excellent work!

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you do the bedliner yourself? If so any special tools needed? (What kind of gun?)

I want to do that if I ever find a better bed for mine. I also wouldn't mind doing the rockers so they don't get beat up from gravel as much.

Truck is looking awesome, that color really pops :icon_thumby:
I did do the bed liner myself. The spray gun came with the U-pol kit that I purchased from amazon. It was actually very simple. Most of the work was prepping the bed. I sanded the whole bed down with 320 grit and any crusty spots I used my trusty Milwaukee angle grinder equipped with a stainless wire cup brush. I then sprayed anywhere that bare metal was exposed with SEM direct to metal primer which ended up pretty much being the whole bed. Then you scuff the primer with grey scotch brite pads, blow it down and use a paint prep degreaser. I use SEM Solve.

The liner kit I bought came with 4 liters of liner and an equivalent amount of hardener. You just pour the hardener right into the liner bottles, shake, and spray. I sprayed about 4 solid coats before I ran out. If i was to do it again I would buy the 6 liter kit to get a bit more build up. It dried super hard and I can tell its going to hold up for a long time. I kind of wish i sprayed my frame with this stuff but its too late for that now. :shok:

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am really enjoying this thread. I want to make my '92 the same color, such a beautiful color.

Keep up the excellent work!
Thanks man I appreciate that. I absolutely love the color and I cant wait to lay some glass on it in the next couple of weeks.

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's been a few weeks since I've last updated the build thread but I have been making steady progress on the body work. The paint on the roof and the hood was delaminating so it has to be stripped to bare metal. There are a few spots on the back of the cab and the door jambs that need to be addressed as well but starting at the top of the cab and working my way down is most efficient way in my opinion. The hood being aluminum and flexible made it difficult to sand off without heating up the metal to the point of warping it so the lovely aircraft remover was used. I'm not a fan of using it since its nasty to work with but I'd rather not have to do hours of blocking to get out any ways that would inevitably show up after sanding it down.

Last edited:

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a couple of used doors to replace the factory ones. The undersides on both original doors are completely rotten which is typical being in Massachusetts. OEM shells are some stupid price of like $900 each which is outrageous. I picked up 2 shells in good shape for $200 total. I stripped these down as well to get as clean as a surface as I could get it. My rocker panel was

ThatBostonGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The fun part for me is definitely painting. This is the stuff that really gets me excited. The pictures do NOT do this paint color justice. The first few pictures are basecoat only and in my haste to get the bed out into the sun to take pictures, I forgot to take a few of it still in the booth

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals