• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 ignitions

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
I am putting a 2.3 in a 67 Sunbeam out of a 1985 Mustang. I DO NOT want a computer controlled engine. After trying an early points dizzy...which would not fit, I am trying to see if a later unit with swing-weights/vacuum can for advancement, can be fitted. Anyone try this? There is a schematic on-line showing a GM (sorry guys) 4-pin module tied to a TFI distributor like my 85, but they do not have any advancement inside the dizzy. The computer controls advancement reading O2, Knock, MAP, etc. readings and I do not want that. My 65 Mustang has a points dizzy with Pertronix and works fine with swing-weights and vacuum. Looking at the dizzy shaft the later ones are longer with a slight diameter reduction on the last inch or so. Is the auxiliary shaft different on 2.3's year to year? I love My 2011 Ranger 2.3 and it works great, but I do not want all the wiring/boxes/sensors involved with computers in the Sunbeam. For this engine swap, simple is better. THANKS ahead guys.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Since it's a very old vehicle why not get a Aftermarket Wiring harness tailored to what you're trying to do?

I mention this because it was something my son and I were considering back when he was involved in the family business and we were going to open the restoration shop when I retired but that didn't happen.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The HEI(GM) module with a DURASPARK(not TFI) distributor is a popular choice
Duraspark has centrifugal and vacuum advance, TFI doesn't.

Basically a 1 wire setup, add a 12volt wire

I think duraspark 2.3l was 1975 and up, when the 2.3l got EFI they went with TFI, but some electronic carbs may have gotten TFI since a computer(of sorts) was added for carb

2.0l and 2.3l Limas used same duraspark distributors if I remember correctly

Last edited:

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
RonD, I was going with the Duraspark but the vacuum/swing-weights distributors all have shorter main shafts...which feed the oil pump off the auxiliary shaft. That makes me hesitant to try one. Because I am building a driver for long distance running with AC, stereo, auto-overdrive, comfy seats and extra insulation, I want the max MPG and vacuum really helps in town. If anyone knows of a Duraspark with mechanical and vacuum advance that will work in a 1985 Mustang carbed version 2.3, please let me know.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know you are trying to avoid any electronics but to use the block you have you may have to compromise on this one point.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Go with the rarest of hens teeth, the 1974 pinto/mustang points distributor. All you need is 12v and a vacuum port. Finding one might be a problem, but it will work. Finding a set of points might also be interesting.
Rockauto has one in stock... $105 ballpark. Cap and points also. Rotor on the side...
tom

_98Ranger_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you haven't considered the Ford 2.0 wiring from a 1987-1988 Ranger then it might be a good fit. It does require a bit of modification but once you figure that out everything works and doesn't need a computer.

You don't even need the Idle Control Module if you go with a different carburetor than the stock used in those years (I used one from an older Mustang engine that worked great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals