• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 Swap for v8 ranger

306deranged

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 1988 ford ranger 2wd, It currently has a 8.8 in it with leaf over axle from an old 4.0 ranger. The truck sits too high and I want to flip it to leaf under axle. However I also need 373s and lim slip so im thinking the best thing to do is just get an explorer rear end. Does it simply just bolt it or do they leaf springs not connect in these older rangers. Some one told me they don't connect on the side of the frame the same way. Does the shock perches have to be welded on to the tubes? I guess im basically asking how hard is it to swap and what all is needed. I found a few threads but all those were for 4x4 who wanted to go higher, I want it 4 inches lower and no one talked about how the leaf springs will attach.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The perches are too far apart on the Expo axle to work under a Ranger. They will still need to be cut off and rewelded at Ranger width, even if you plan to keep it spring under.

You will also need to add shock mounts to the axle tubes since Expo shocks mount on the U bolt plate.

306deranged

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alright so maybe I should just stick with what I have and flip it and put traction bars on it? what all would be needed to convert to the disc brake setup of the explorer. Just trying to weigh my options, if its better to build my ranger 8.8 or if itd be cheaper to buy an 8.8 explorer with a flip kit already basically on it and 373s LS.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Expo 8.8 is easier IMO. Just weld perches and shock tabs on and its done. Not to mention it will 31 spline vs your 28 spline.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Please review the following and get back to us with any additional questions. :)

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/explorer_8-8_swap_no_welding.shtml

p.s. It isn't possible to put Explorer discs on Ranger axle*; the flanges are very different (you can install Mustang discs though).

*Very late model ('10-11?) FX4 Ranger's could use Explorer discs, but they already have disc brakes...

Note: Explorer axle will be 3" wider than your '88 and have larger hubs (2.83" versus 2.5"), so your wheels may/may not fit..

f3joel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think you might be better off, depending on your pull a part or junk yards available, to get another 8.8 off a ranger in 3.73 and flip it.
Unless you can get a ring and pinion and have it installed cheaper.
You can add 94-04 mustang rear disc brakes to it.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The perches are too far apart on the Expo axle to work under a Ranger. They will still need to be cut off and rewelded at Ranger width, even if you plan to keep it spring under.
??? The leaf spring perches are the exact same width apart as a ranger just mount under the axle (which is what the OP wants) vs over axle in a ranger. You may have to use axle shims to get the pinion angle right though. If you grab an axle from a first gen explorer with the 10" drums its basically a nut and bolt swap minus the shock mounts. The later ones with disc brakes is a little more involved but not overly difficult. As mentioned before they are wider then square body ranger axle so your wheels will stick out a little further.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My Ranger perches sit in about 1" inboard per side compared to the Explorer. I can go measure the Expo axle and the Ranger axle in my garage.... It has been about 5 years since I did the swap though. I know the Expo perches were same spacing as the Bronco 2 though.

Sent from XT1030 using Crapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Just measured... Expo perches are 40" center to center... The Ranger is just under 38" center to center.

Also don't forget the Expo axle tubes are larger diameter, so you will new U bolts.

306deranged

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Plum Crazy: What years are your Explorer and Ranger axles?

I too walked out to the garage and measured axles:

The '98 Ranger was 38.5" from center of spring pad to center of spring pad and the WMS to WMS is 58.5" matching what one would find here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-8_8-axle.shtml

The '96 Explorer axle WMS was 59.5" (matching what is on the web page). But, the spring pad to spring pad center distance is 39.5".

The holes in spring pads are large enough and there is enough distance for the springs to flex, so everything will line up, but its a force fit, not a clearance one.

So, I am now wondering if the pre-'90 frames,well at least the spring pads, are narrower.

I just reuse the Explorer u-bolts but then I am cheap; I believe there was a thread which confirmed if you should re-use; but I am having issues finding it...

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The Ranger is a 95, but I am almost certain all Rangers are the same.

I know all Expos are the same.

Your measurements are probably more accurate than my half assed measurements I took at 5am this morning. Lol

Regardless.... The Expo is wider and springs and bushings should not be forced and sitting under lateral stress because someone is to lazy or cheap to do it right.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>

Your measurements are probably more accurate than my half assed measurements I took at 5am this morning. Lol

Regardless.... The Expo is wider and springs and bushings should not be forced and sitting under lateral stress because someone is to lazy or cheap to do it right.
======================
WOW!

I've got Expo 8.8's under both my 94's and they both went in without any "force". IMO an 1" is just a 1/2" per side and you have rubber bushings in the spring eyes that give you some flexability.

BUT, I do believe the 92 back frames are narrower than 93 up. I put a Bronco II LS under my Son's 93 and the rear tires tuck in an inch or so on each side.

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Humm weird, when I did my expo 8.8 swap in my '91 I welded the new perches on basically 180* from the original explorer ones and it bolted in perfectly. I'll be doing another swap in the next few months for my 4x4.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have put two 95+ explorer disc 8.8's in 1987 RBV trucks. spring perch width was identical on both. Overall width at the wheel mating surface is 3" wider as indicated in the axle tech section.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals