• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how does idle air control valve work?

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
We are plagued by the high idle condition that many ranger owners seems to have. I've read many threads on this forum on the issue but none really address my question. How does the device work?
It seems from my looking at it off the truck, when it is disconnected, the default position is to block the passage so no air can by pass the throttle plate and get into the intake. I assume that when it is connected to voltage, the solenoid pushes against that rod and opens the passages somewhat. Correct?
So, when the truck is cold and you're starting it for the first time, does it need air and therefore the solenoid needs full voltage to push that plunger open all the way?? or is it the opposite, on a cold start there should be no voltage at the solenoid so that it blocks air to the engine?
I'm really trying to figure out why disconnecting the IAC after the truck is at operating temp causes our idle to move down from a high of 1000 rpm to a real nice 650 rpm. But with the IAC disconnected, it is very hard to start and if it does, you have to hold the gas pedal down to hold it at 1000 rpm.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We are plagued by the high idle condition that many ranger owners seems to have. I've read many threads on this forum on the issue but none really address my question. How does the device work?
It seems from my looking at it off the truck, when it is disconnected, the default position is to block the passage so no air can by pass the throttle plate and get into the intake. I assume that when it is connected to voltage, the solenoid pushes against that rod and opens the passages somewhat. Correct?
So, when the truck is cold and you're starting it for the first time, does it need air and therefore the solenoid needs full voltage to push that plunger open all the way?? or is it the opposite, on a cold start there should be no voltage at the solenoid so that it blocks air to the engine?
I'm really trying to figure out why disconnecting the IAC after the truck is at operating temp causes our idle to move down from a high of 1000 rpm to a real nice 650 rpm. But with the IAC disconnected, it is very hard to start and if it does, you have to hold the gas pedal down to hold it at 1000 rpm.
I cant help you with how the iacv works but I was wondering if you checked/changed the ECT sensor and is the iacv new?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The IAC is controlled by the computer. The computer takes many other inputs from other sensors, and the IAC plunger is adjusted accordingly to adjust engine idle.

The IAC has a stepper motor. It has several different settings like steps that it positions to with different voltage applied to it by the PCM.

So it should move, and not to just one extreme or the other. And if the idle falls when unplugging it, it doesn't mean it's bad. It could just be doing what it is supposed to, according to the other sensors input into the PCM (MAF, ECT, HO2S's(oxygen sensors), etc).

IAC's usually get dirty, sticky, and clogged with carbon. You can try to clean it and the passages leading to it. Also, they usually make a whining humming sound when going bad.

High idle is also a symptom of a false reading ETC (trying to warm the engine up....constantly with a high idle), or a vacuum leak (or just false incoming air reading from the MAF).

Try unplugging the MAF and ETC, see what happens.

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the advice.
The engine coolant temp sensor is new, replaced it couple months ago. No change in idle then. Put a new air intake temp sensor in the intake chamber and no change in idle. Changed the MAF sensor couple days ago with one that works on another ranger. No change. Changed the TPS to one off a truck that worked, no change. When we unplug the IAC it idles down to 650 or so, real nice, but once it is plugged back in, it goes to 1000 rpm at idle. When shifting (manual trans) the rpm's hold at what they were when we hit the clutch, no quick drop in rpm's on shifting which is the real aggravation here.
I guess we'll have to bite bullet and buy a new IAC. Tried a used one yesterday and a little change for the better, but not much.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If the RPM sticks, I'd suspect either of 2 things.....

Vacuum leak after the MAF or IAC.

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for the opinions. I've searched high and low for a vacuum leak and can't find one. I recently changed the IAC to another used one off an old parts truck my dad has. It brings the idle down to 900 rpm at operating temp. So that isn't too bad. I suspect if I bought a new IAC it would come down even more.
On a disgusting note, I live in Canada and I went to price out a new IAC at Napa here. They sell Echlin and quoted me 209 bux plus 12 percent tax. I go on the Napa USA online site and the same IAC by Echlin sells for 83 bux. Go figure. We constantly get gouged by parts suppliers here in Canada and this is just another example.
He also quoted me 109 bux for a new IAC by Standard, but he seemed to imply it wasn't the best quality, he pushed me to the Echlin one. No way am I spending 209 when I can pick one up in ND on my next trip there for 83. Thanks again boys.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Here is what my IAC was doing when it was going bad

Last edited:

AaronC47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Iac ?

Hey Bhawk I didnt see anything about yr of your truck, I have a good little collection (2 or 3) IAC's here that came off of a 91, 92, 93, or 94 explorer with the 4.0. If you need one I can save you alot of money. And I know for a fact they are good and work.

Oh Hey there it is,, It says a 94,,,

Last edited:

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
To update this thread, the high idle that bothered us for a long time has been solved. It was not the IAC. It turned out to be a leaky lower intake manifold gasket. After replacing the gasket, the idle goes down to 700 rpm or so hot, and never exceeds 1150 or so on a cold start. Runs and drives so much nicer, and fuel economy has improved significantly.
You cannot discover a vacuum leak at the joint between the lower intake and the cylinder head with propane or starter fluids, or the like because that joint is UNDER the valve cover gaskets. I discovered that on tear down. Spraying those products will show you if you have a leak at a vacuum hose or fitting, or a leak at the join between upper intake and fuel rail manifold, but they are of no help with the key joint under the valve covers.
Thought I'd close this topic with the solution that worked for us.

dpzum1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IAC problems

Have the same issue with mine. Tried everything, then I got an idea, so I fashioned a gasket with 1/4" holes over the spots where the larger holes are, and it works fine now. Not sure I'll let this be permanent, but until I can buy a new IAC, it's gonna stay.

sparkyair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure this is the case, but just had a friend of a friend work on my ford ranger 1997 replacing the radiator, air filter and some other stuff, now my truck quits when foot is off the pedal, Numerous times i would start it and let m foot off the pedal, then dies immediately, he came over and now is telling me about a harness is bad, why did he not tell me this when he was here, this did not happen before he touched the truck yesterday, and today it will not work. Any ideas?

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It could very well be a loose connector. You are talking about a 20 year old truck. Plastic gets brittle, seals dry out and shrink, stuff gets worn. Then, when maintenance gets done, stuff gets bumped. That's the nature of old vehicles and not necessarily someone trying to put one over on you.

Idle air control does exactly what the name implies. It's an electrically operated valve that allows the proper amount of air to bypass the butterfly when you're not pushing the throttle so the engine keeps running at the set rpm. I had a vehicle in the past ( I think it was a Yukon 5.3l) that I had to clean the IAC on periodically because it would get gummed up and stick. Of course, it could also fail completely.

Eric B

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals