• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BII Keeps Cutting Off

BroncBro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First off I would like to introduce myself. I'm Eric, I have an 88 BII with a 2.9l manual. I just joined the forum, but have surfed this site for years,especially recently doing extensive research trying to figure out my issue. Still haven't gotten any answers, which is why I started this thread,so I apologize if this is one of many, but this is getting old and I need to find the source of my problem.
Okay so originally I had an issue for months where the truck would crank, barely start up, and then cut off immediately. I'd crank it again and it would start, run, and drive with no issues. Eventually it got to a point where it took many more times to get it started again, so I knew it was time to address the situation. I had a similar problem with a wagon I recently had, replaced the fuel filter, and all was well, so, naturally thats what I did to my truck. Drove it for a day afterwards with no issues (filter did not fix the problem), but the day after that is when shit went downhill. It would repeatedly cut off. Runs fine when it does, but eventually it will just quit. At idle, on the road, you name it. When I'm driving it will sputter, struggle, and if u dont hammer down on the gas pedal, it'll quit. At idle, it just eventually cuts off. Sometimes it fires right back up, other times I'll crank it for awhile and have to wait. I've done so much research which led to me replacing basically the entire ignition system (TFI, distributor, coil, plugs and wires have maybe 15,000 miles on them). I'm leaning towards a fuel pump issue, however, I can hear the pump buzz slightly when I key on, so to me, that sounds good. I've been told it could be a vacuum leak, but the engine doesn't run rough to resemble one IMO. Has anybody had this exact problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to get my turd road worthy for the summer. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

When you have a crank but No Start on any gasoline engine, you should spray some gasoline or Quick Start(ether), into the intake and then try to start it.
This tells you instantly if its a fuel or spark issue, 50/50 test

If it starts then the No Start is lack of fuel
It it doesn't start then spark is the problem, or Compression...........

1988 2.9l will have 2 fuel pumps, low pressure pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump in the frame rail under drivers seat area, this 2nd pump was added for Fuel Injection.
Yes, each time you turn the key ON you should hear fuel pumps running for 2 seconds, they only get power for 2 seconds to prime the system, then will start running full time after start up, above 400rpms.

You can cycle key on and off as much as needed to make sure both pumps are running, won't hurt anything, it also builds up any lost pressure if system is leaking pressure.
You can unplug the high pressure pump, and cycle key on and off to hear the pump in the tank, it is not quiet both pumps have a hearable HUMMMMM

Without buying more parts try the 50/50 test and narrow it down to spark or fuel issue

BroncBro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

When you have a crank but No Start on any gasoline engine, you should spray some gasoline or Quick Start(ether), into the intake and then try to start it.
This tells you instantly if its a fuel or spark issue, 50/50 test

If it starts then the No Start is lack of fuel
It it doesn't start then spark is the problem, or Compression...........

1988 2.9l will have 2 fuel pumps, low pressure pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump in the frame rail under drivers seat area, this 2nd pump was added for Fuel Injection.
Yes, each time you turn the key ON you should hear fuel pumps running for 2 seconds, they only get power for 2 seconds to prime the system, then will start running full time after start up, above 400rpms.

You can cycle key on and off as much as needed to make sure both pumps are running, won't hurt anything, it also builds up any lost pressure if system is leaking pressure.
You can unplug the high pressure pump, and cycle key on and off to hear the pump in the tank, it is not quiet both pumps have a hearable HUMMMMM

Without buying more parts try the 50/50 test and narrow it down to spark or fuel issue
Thanks! Definitely a helpful reply, I will try the 50/50 test first tomorrow after work before I do anything else. I'll let you know the results, hopefully it will be narrowed down quite a bit.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Bad/weak/failing in tank fuel pump.

These have two pumps, a high pressure frame rail mounted pump, and a low pressure in tank "feeder" pump. The high pressure one youll hear, the in tank you wont.

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
Sometimes a bad map sensor and in combination with a bad IAC valve/sensor -sometimes it may be just one of those 2.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
There's the power of reading the forum.

I was just getting ready to post this same question.

I have the exact same issue with my '88 2.9.

It runs beautifully but will just quit at the Murphy moment.
I did notice that fuel pressure was weak at the fuel rail valve
until the pumps were cycled a few times. Then off down the road.

Thanks guys, for asking and answering my question.

Rich

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals