• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drops into limp mode at idle

sk8nmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
2004 ranger 3.0l autotrans.

Sitting at a stop light is will start idling rough then drops into limp mode, I can drive for about 500 feet with it floored and it will start running right. I've replaced the mass air flow sensor and the throttle position sensor, plugs and wires. Common failure codes are misfire at start up, random misfire and cyl 4 misfire.

On a side note that might be related there are times when is has rough shifting...

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It almost sounds like your coil pack is going out. I think mine is too since it's been randomly misfiring. Maybe someone here knows how to test coil packs..

sk8nmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the coil pack and trunk run ok for a few days, but now it's started acting up again. Any help?

paulblr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I no mechanic but its sounds like a timing issue. So my guess is to check your cmp closely. I'll link the page about it here.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals