• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Explorer vs Jeep Cherokee

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've been looking in to various vehicles that could be used off-road as public safety vehicles IE: Sheriff Patrol, Search Rescue / EMS, etc.

Two vehicles that jump to the top of the list is the Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. These were chosen due to their size and potential off-road capabilities. I'm talking about the older Explorers.

It's funny that Jeep is considered an off-road vehicle just by its name, and the Explorer is looked at as being a soccer mom vehicle. But to me, it seems like the Explorer cmes with stronger axles right from the factory. Lord knows there is a crap load of Jeeps running aroud with Explorer 8.8's.

For those in the know, what do you think one vehicle has in advanatage and disadvantage over the other vehicle?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
For the general public... TTB is a disadvantage. People don't know how to work it so.. They run and hide from it. Overall I think the explorer is a lot better. Motor. Space. Comfort. Frame. Real lockout hubs.

The Cherokee has aftermarket support.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
In my opinion, they both are great wheelers. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Both motors are decent, but there's a lot more aftermarket support for the Jeep 4.0 than Ford's. The lack of a frame on the Jeep's is fixable, but still something I don't care for. Being around my buddy's XJ a lot lately has given me a better appreciation for them, but he's sunk 18 grand in this thing in the last 18 months - purchase price included. But it's stroked to a 4.6 and has gobs and gobs of torque.

He went from this:

To this with an additional 14 grand:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer is meant to butt heads more with the Grand Cherokee than the Cherokee.

And you can easily throw as much $$ at an RBV as you can a Jeep.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I drove a Highway Patrol Cherokee a little and hated it, but a couple years later I drove a Cherokee Sport that the Patrol had and actually liked it. Seemd to ride better. No idea why.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, the Cherokee is a Jeep, so you can just assume it has front end issues without any more information right there.

I'm not a fan of alignment procedures on Jeep D30 axles. Basically, you put the ball joint in, check camber/caster and if it is wrong, you take the ball joints back out and turn them around.

On an Explorer, you just tweak a sleeve.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice. What's the specs?
It's got a Rusty's 8 inch long arm lift, which he's added another 1.5" to. He's also got Rusty's sliders, subframe connectors, and HD drag link. It's got a Dana 44's with e-lockers. Since this photo he's added a roll bar. I need to get some newer pics because I think this is just the 8 inch lift in these photos.

EDIT: I'm forgetting all kinds of stuff here.

He also put a slip yoke eliminator on the T-case. It has 4.11 gears as well. I'm sure I'll remember more.......

Here are some photo's of him going over white knuckle and cliffhanger in Moab over the Easter weekend - he tipped it on it's side because he had a crap spotter.

At the bottom of this page:
http://www.moabactionshots.com/search.php?search=04-07-2012&match_type=all~both&gid_search=986&gid=&sgid=&startat=75&perpage=15&page_num=6

And the top of this page (this is where he tips it on it's side):
http://www.moabactionshots.com/search.php?search=04-07-2012&match_type=all~both&gid_search=986&gid=&sgid=&startat=90&perpage=15&page_num=7

Cliffhanger pics:
http://www.moabactionshots.com/search.php?search=04-06-2012&match_type=all~both&gid_search=987&gid=&sgid=&startat=105&perpage=15&page_num=8

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I don't know ..... I give props to both...... atleast you didn't say Chevy S. Blazer.

toyota LandCruiser also comes to mind.

is this for doomsday prepping?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That's a really good question. At the moment I think they both suck, but that's just a temporary situation. The explorer has a bad ball joint and the jeep is peeing out tranny fluid, who knows from where. Anyway, with that minor rant out of the way, it's difficult to pick one over the other. The auto tranny on the jeep is definitely better than the one in the explorer but the manual tranny in the explorer is better the the jeep unit. The jeep t/case that has the full time option is a nice thing to have under certain road conditions. Every xj or zj I've been in has had a better heater and a/c than any explorer I've been in, the b2 was better than either on those things. Getting in and out of the explorer is much easier than the jeep and once inside the explorer is more comfortable, especially if you're tall, heavy or both. I find the ride in the explorer is more comfortable that the jeep but that could be just me. I could probably go on all day pitching one against the other. just flip a coin.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I agree Martin. I am 6'4" and his XJ is no picnic. My knees touch the dash with the seat all the way back, and the wheel is right in my lap. I also agree with your statement about the ride. I also think there is a lot more road noise in his Jeep. All this talk makes me miss my Explorer even more.

EDIT: I found it weird that his is a 91 and still has the GM steering column.

Sent while I should be doing something else

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I like the Jeeps. I've had a couple TJs and they are very simple, basic almost. The 4.0 is a great engine. Never really liked Exploders myself, I know they grew from the Bronco. I just think the basic mechanicals of the jeep are better.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have owned a 1993 Grand Cherokee V8 and a 1990 Cherokee 4 door 4.0. Both good vehicles, and long lasting (200k on one, 265k on the other, both running/driving when sold.)

I was impressed with how much power both vehicles had. My butt dyno says that they had way more than any stock RBV I've ever driven.

My dislikes, apart from the usual fluid leaks, were mostly just with the gas mileage, as well as the jumpy steering in the Grand (it was AWD.)

I think the XJ's are a piss poor choice for a wheeling rig. Building one is like building a stronger pop can... you can only do so much with one due to the lack of frame. The ZJ's are marginally better with slightly larger axles and optional V8.

In summary, I think the Explorer is a great platform, with an inadequate drivetrain, except in the case of the V8 Explorers. The XJ/ZJ Jeeps have an excellent drivetrain but are quite lacking in terms of everything else.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm not sure I'd call the Ex's drivetrain inadequate myself (well maybe next to today's power standards it is). The auto trans seems to be it's only real sore spot, though I've read a number of reports the A4LD does quite well with a separate external cooler (which makes me tend to believe not so much that it's a weak tranny, but more of an issue with inadequate factory cooling). I don't have any personal experience with the auto though.

My thoughts...

Explorer ('91-'94):
Has stronger axles (both front & rear) with more options for ratios
Factory locking hub setup w/serviceable wheel bearings
Factory fixed-yoke t-case
Better MPG (often by a wide margin too)
Real frame underneath
Roomier, more comfortable interior w/more cargo space
Better ride
Less noisy

Jeep XJ:
Better aftermarket for suspension & body bolt-ons, engine
Lighter weight
Not as much undercarriage clutter (spare tire, fuel tank, rear suspension)
Won't be "shunned" by Jeep owners for not driving a Jeep (however I'd rather simply not be associated with people who do that in the first place)

The Explorer is meant to butt heads more with the Grand Cherokee than the Cherokee.
It's the other way 'round... Jeep (Chrysler) made the Grand to compete better with the Explorer. The Grand still shares some of the XJ's shortcomings though (most notably the no-frame issue). IIRC, early Grands I think also lacked a center-diff lockout with their fulltime 4WD system.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well if its a sheriff police type vehichle i would say explorer because you gotta do what you gotta do to catch the bad guy even if it means getting rough and rugged. You mess up a jeep and youve wrecked the frame you mess up a sploder and you mess up the body. Im not so savy on early sploders but dont they have optional v8s? v8 power just like any other police vehichle if things take twoards the road youre in good shape. all the explorers ive ridden in are snappy and not too bad on speed. This might not apply but ford being the most common police vehichles the mechanics would have an easier time maybe?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals