• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

quit starting

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drove yesterday and when i got home and drove in my bronco just died. No hesitation just died. I checked the fuel pump and they make the noise and checked the fuel rail for pressure. Both work. It seems like it not even getting fuel what so ever. Where should i begin to start looking for the anwser.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
if the fuel system checks out OK then check for spark and go from there. good info on this in the tech section.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had this problem once before. I forget who exactly told me this, but check out your TFI module. It's on the back of your distributor. They will just spontaneously blow up, sort of like mine did. No promises, but hopefully this will lead you in the right direction.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
+1 on the TFI. They don't exactly "spontaneously blow up" but the few clues that they do give before dying are subtle, and once they start you don't have a lot of time before it burns up and stops working.

Motorcraft ones seem to fair a bit better than others, but they are expensive. See if you can get a Borg Warner unit, they used to make a lot of Ford's electronics for them. I believe the original TFI modules were a BW production item.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 to adsm. My truck sputtered and had late response to the go go pedal. Mine acted that way for about 3-4 months then BOOM. I guess I just ignored the warning.:D

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i fixed it. it took the tfi piece out and got it tested at advance. So then I went and bought the spark plug tester that goes between the wire and the plug. my friend turned it over and no spark. Then out of now where it started. I thought maybe the ignition coil went out so i went to the junk yard and picked one up and brought it back home. When getting the old one out i noticed the green wire fell out of the plug. Went back to the junk yard and cut that part of the harness off on put some connectors on and it started up the first time. So it was only occasionally getting a good enough connection to start. Runs good but it seems to idle differently. So im going to go buy a msd one for 40 and swap it out. I might as well upgrade when i can. thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals