• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

torque value for stock rear receiver

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey, i just reinstalled my factory 2in receiver after painting it, does anyone happen to know the torque value for the fasteners on the stock receivers? I know the front hitch receiver I installed was 75, and i believe the last aftermarket hitch i installed on a ranger called for 120... at the moment i have it torqued to 80ft lbs...any suggestions?

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thank you will!
i guess i should have used the search function..
half inch coarse thread grade 8 brings up 119lb ft on that chart, which happens to be what i thought i did on the last rear receiver hitch i put on a ranger...that chart does have me questioning the recommended 75ft lbs the curt receiver i put on the front of my truck called for, seeing as it's a class 3, and uses the same size hardware (half inch coarse thread grade 8) i may up their torque value

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am amazed it was 3 years ago I posted that. I thought it was last Tuesday. I don't blame you for not searching, I never do.

One thing is, you probably used lock washers. Those torque values are probably relying on bolt stretch, while still in the tension range, to lock the nut. They don't need to be drawn all the way to the plastic range as in a torque to yield application.

If there is a lock washer, torque on something like you are doing isn't critical.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the advice, yeah no lock washers in this application, just regular bolts, backing blocks and those nuts that have sort of a flange and a scored bottom surface that is supposed to "bite" into the surface they are being tightened against if that makes any sense...i guess those might be considered a locking nut

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remember that those charts just tell what the max torque rating of the bolt is, not what is the rating for your application. Not really many forces acting in the vertical direction but in shear, that probably why 1/2" dia was used. A 1/2" bolt can support over 2900 lbs.
Dave

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If there is a lock washer, torque on something like you are doing isn't critical.
Well, as my shop foreman likes to say "tight enough is tight. Too tight is broke."

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals