• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lost my key's

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
howdy, well as you would know it, today I lost the ignition/door lock key to my 2000 ranger, what all is involved in getting a new key cut ? , I've been told if I bring in paper work stating I own the truck and the vin number they will cut me a new key ?, just wondering if this will work on my truck being that it has the PAT's system ?, or if that only work's on the pre PAT's system's, thanks for any info

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They can cut you a key from the Vin.

I just had one done like that for my focus.

Although, they may not have codes for a truck that old. Not sure how far back they keep them.

As for pats, not a problem. They can program new keys.

My focus key was $10 from then dealer. Programming is $45.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is this your only key or do you have a second?

If you have a key:

It is possible to get the chip keys duplicated (local Home Depot can around here) but they cost $70 compared to <$2 for a simple metal key.

Online I seen places selling chip keys for something like $10, These are blanks with a chip. Just need to get the metal cut. Supposedly with two chip keys it is possible to get the car to recognize the new keys thru some procedure you can do yourself. I have no experience with this.

If you wish to get away from the chip keys and a simple metal key there are tricks for that, but requires one key or even chick the car recognizes. If you have one remaining key you can do this.

Early in the winter I had dropped one of my chip keys in the snow without having realized till the next day. Finding it was hopeless. It was my spare key but I didn't like being down to one. A week later after the snow melted I found it, but the chip portion had broken away from the key. I never liked the bulky chip key, so instead of getting another chip key, I put the chip in the steering column with a coupling wire and since only needed to use a basic metal key. Same thing could be done with a regular key. It does not destroy the key and it always can be retrieved later if you wish to undo it and used as regular key (if not broken like mine was.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Took my key to a dealer for the vin thing but they only keep about 10 years back on record. So 2004 is the earliest they can cut.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is this your only key or do you have a second?

... there are tricks for that, but requires one key or even chick the car recognizes...
Yeah, chicks can get away with lots, specially if the car recognizes her! :icon_thumby:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ah that sucks. I got lucky with my 04 focus then lol.

So you have zero keys then?
You'll probably have to get a locksmith involved, or change out all the lock cylinders.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
dang, thanks for all the info , I guess i'll be looking at getting all new cylinders, thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Look for local lock smiths. We can't cut keys past 2006 now, but most local lock smiths can cut you a new key for about 1/3 of the cost of the lock set.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals