• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drop tank or bed?

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like I have to drop the tank and/or remove the bed to get to the bottom of this Issue I'm having (Filler neck/tank seal? Post) , and bottom line what is the better option?
thanks

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With a supercab, drop the tank. The seal is pretty much right at/under the gap, and this way you can do a more thorough rust inspection/treat while you're in there. I know I had some rust starting behind my tank that I wasn't able to entirely get to with it in place...

You can also get to the pump/sending unit a lot easier on the supercabs with the tank out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It depends on the condition of the truck. If there is any real rust on the underside I prefer to drop the tank. If the underside is clean, or just a surface patina, pulling the bed is usually easier. Especially if you have three or four friends.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Ok cool, thanks guys. The body/frame condition is pristine, so it sounds like I'll be removing the bed. I'm not a huge fan of trying to freestyle 're-align stuff. It'll probably just be my brother and I. Anything to look out for?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the bed is heavy, and long, and the surface you pick it up by is a pinch weld. You will want at least 3 guys for stability, and you will probably want to wear some good work gloves when you lift it.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I found that dropping the tank is a bigger PITA. And it's VERY heavy when full. I use the floor-jack to lift the tank's rear end while trying to forcibly jam it into place above the darn cross-member.

OTOH, my sweetie & I easily lifted the bed off, by hand. It's mostly me doing the lifting, she was mostly just for stability, cuz it's kinda bulky & awkward b/c of its size. Remove the heavy tailgate beforehand, and especially remove the mudflaps so you can set it down flat on the ground. Otherwise, you'll have to stand the bed up on its end.

Another clever alternative is hoist & prop up the bed w/o fully removing it. IOW, somebody here shifted his bed rear-ward by about 2', and then used wooden lumber to prop it up about a foot above the frame, giving access to tank.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled the bed, and I did it by myself. I used tie down straps up to the rafters in my garage. Lifted the bed up and yanked on the straps at the same time. Had it unbolted and off in a half an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I got it off yesterday, pretty painless. Looks like the was a pretty nice sized crack where the fuel was able to leak out at the 45° bend where the filler neck meets the tank. The crack is on the left side, facing the fuel door. What's the best/safest way/material to patch that? Not really looking to spend $140 for a spectre filler neck..

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have seen them on eBay much cheaper

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, but I've had instances in the past of getting an after market parts labeled and sold as motorcraft. I try to avoid that all together if I had to. Plus I don't have 2 weeks to wait with the bed off to get this done...

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I was lucky. I have a step side and they have a separate vent tube. I just went down to the local auto parts store and bought a 2' length of fill hose and cut it to fit.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'll probably try the self healing rubber tape I have.. Ford wants $480 and AutoZone wants $140 for a spectre one. Honestly I have never had a AutoZone part last more then a couple years... And I worked there for a while.. its mostly junk, and the warranty and refunds daily speak for themselves. I'd get a junk yard one but I think it being 22 years old was part of the problem..
I don't want to redo this in 3 years, I had to remove my tool box, bedliner and bed. Not hard, but annoying... getting around the garage is getting to be a mofo..

Last edited:

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting. Mine has a steel piece that joins with the rubber that the plastic filler piece goes through..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals