• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88' automatic won't go.

dirtslinger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My son has any 88' automatic 2wd ranger. Last night when leaving a light it made a banging sound and quit moving. When you shift it into gears the idle changes like it is going into gear but the outlet of the tranny does not move.
Any simple ideas or does it sound like it needs the trans rebuilt?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that is what is sounds like.

Check the fluid of course, automatics work based on Fluid Pressure when you lose that you lose the "go", it is similar to the "magic smoke" that electronics run on, when the smoke gets out device quits working :).
The "bang" was probably a high pressure seal(or any seal) letting go, so no more pressure, or at least not enough.

'88 will have an A4LD transmission
A few good reads here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-transmission-transfer-case.shtml

Good advice here:
"When having an A4LD rebuilt, there are a couple of things that you need to make sure of. First and foremost, do not let a shop do a soft parts fix only (clutches, servos, and bands). This will almost ensure that you will have another repair needed right after the 1-year warranty is out. Other things you want to have replaced are: forward one-way clutch (always), overdrive drum (stamped tin, replace if out of round or heat damaged), pump (Ford only, rebuilds are prone to failure), and the converter (get the better converter with the improved lock-up clutch and brazed fins). Also, get references from the shop and call the people. Just because they can rebuild TH350's and C4's does not mean they know what they are doing with overdrive trannies."

And as a heads up if you do the remove and replace yourself, you must install the torque converter on the transmission, and then rotate it while pushing in on it, so it can lock into the front pump, you should feel and hear 2 or 3 clicks as it slides in.
Torque converter should then be flush and a little in from the front edge of the bell housing, so bell housing can bolt tight to block without putting pressure on torque converter.

This is a lesson most learn the VERY HARD WAY on their first automatic R&R.
If you fail to do this you will break the front pump and have to completely disassemble transmission to replace it, and the worst part is you don't know you have goofed up until everything is back together and you start the engine and put it in gear......it won't move, and since transmission COULDN'T be the problem you spend hours trying to figure out what else could be wrong, lol, funny now, wasn't funny at the time.
They say we learn from our mistakes, well I must have a PhD in stupid by now.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
When my C3 did that the bushings for the reverse sprag were gone and the main shaft moved so oil could not get to the valve block. That was the first and last time I will rebuild a auto tranny. Be sure and clean the tranny cooler and lines it is that circuit that lubes the main bushings and thrust washers.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry meant the sprag thrust washers were bad and the input shaft moved back and lost pressure to the valve body.

dirtslinger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info, I was hoping for a "oh, just check this bolt, thats all it is" answer, but I already knew it was going to need a rebuild.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals