• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to replace headlight assembly

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1989 Ranger XLT, I have 2 new headlight assembly unit to install, but before I start I am asking for advice to make the process easier,any tips,shortcuts, etc.
If anyone has replaced the entire units -please share your tips.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I have a 92 but I'm pretty sure they are the same, my wife has a 94 Explorer and those are the same also. It is actually easy take the cover off the top of the grille and then the grille, there are several screws holding it on along the top. Then you have to pry the (door) off, that is the trim around the headlight, it is all plastic so carefully. The clips on the buttom of the door slide on to the buttom of the headlight assembly, there is a notch in the headlight assembly. When you get the door off all that is left are 4 small bolts and the plugs on the lights.

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mike,I replaced them using the steps you posted, now if I can get them adjusted.lol Thanks for your response.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Glad I was able to help. I replaced 4 this year,2 on the wifes Explorer because she had a woman run a stoplight and I got the parts to do a temp fix from a junkyard. Put the ones from JY on my Ranger and old ones on her Explorer because we are going to git rid of Explorer. Then a guy at work hit my truck with the door of a semi trailer so I had to replace headlight and fender. I'm having problems getting them adjusted too? Don't have a level driveway and beam on light is hard to center?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals