• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sporadic hard miss

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, it should do the warm up routine after the truck sits for a few hours, like overnight. Sometimes it does it and sometimes doesn't...doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it...maybe the codes this weekend will tell me something. When it doesn't do the cold start warm up, it idles rough and wants to idle low which makes the miss more noticeable...above 1K rpm you don't notice/feel the miss at all.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, pulled the codes after work today...got 12, 12, 14...idle air control valve out of range and PIP circuit short. Checked connections to both and they were good, then checked connections to all the sensors one by one. Unplugged the MAF sensor and it smoothed right out and ran like a champ, even down the road for a road test. Go figure....drum roll, please...rim shot, rim shot...and the culprit is MAF sensor! I'm off to Autozone tomorrow.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Wound up getting the MAF electronic biscuit, not the whole shooting match, at ABC auto parts for $106. Ouch. Runs much better.

bg@f.ord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm having similar issues>>>Here's a copy & paste>>CYLINDER 6 MISSFIRE This is what the tester says.Ford in El Centro told me I had low compression on Cyl. 6 & I needed to buy two $500 heads.My people in San Diego said they lied.They're doing more testing today(Tunecraft).Compression is fine.I was just looking for some input.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wound up getting the MAF electronic biscuit, not the whole shooting match, at ABC auto parts for $106. Ouch. Runs much better.
:icon_thumby:

I took a 96 3.0 for a test drive yesterday...not a bad little engine...way peppier than my wonky 2.3...

The guy wants $3,000 for the truck but I think it's way too much...only thing going for it is the low mileage (130k)...

I looked under the hood and the exhaust manifolds were VERY rusty...is that an issue with these engines?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know about rusty exhaust manifolds, and I still have my intermittent hard miss...it's worst when the truck is carrying the AC load...and a new MAF didn't cure it completely. Now I'm about to do all the tests I can figure out on the coil, and still searching for the distributor ignition module. Not the ICM, which is for later models/motors with coil packs and a crank sensor. Very little info on this...typical Ford stuff.

bg@f.ord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just had a cylinder 6 misfire problem.It ended up being a broken valve spring.Your problem sounds different,but I thought you might want the input.

mitch4712

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
tmcalavy did you find out the issue with your hard miss? my b3000 is doing the can thing.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I did plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, then tested the coil and ICM. ICM tested bad so I replaced it and the MAF for good measure. Mostly gone and smooth now, but still pops up occasionally after a few hours driving down the road at highway speed. But hey, it's a 21-year-old Ford so I'm gonna just drive it til it dies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals