• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternative to Smoke Test for Vacuum Leaks

Dazzlin' Dave

06/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been chasing vacuum leaks on my 94 Splash 4.0 and found quite a few. At first I used some risky Starter Fluid, as have many of us have bravely (or stupidly) done. I couldn't narrow it down at first so I tried a smoke test. I found some vids online on how to rig up a smoke can with a cigar. I could smell it but couldn't see where it was coming from as I was in the driveway with a breeze blowing. Back to the Starter Fluid I found a bad leak on the lower intake no.3 runner. I re-regasketed (already had it apart less than 200mi to redo the heads) DON'T listen to the Felpro instructions telling you not to add gasket sealer!! That's a bunch of Crap!!:icon_confused:
After applying a nice 1/16in bead of Permatex on both sides of the gasket I put it together only to find it was still running like crap. I had a brainstorm and remembered what we used to do looking for leaks in Substation Transformers. The transformers are already pressurized but we'd spray a solution of dish soap and water around the gaskets and where it leaks there will be bubbles! Works on tires too! And this time the intake tested leak free, thankfully!! This time I found it was the o-rings were blown on the TB! Put a couple of o-rings from the kit on both sides since there was room for two side by side in the grooves, retested and no leaks!
To pressurize the intake I used the cap off a can of Wasp Spray, drilled it out and attached a piece of hose (put a brass fitting in the end for a snug fit) attached the other end to the air tank with a blow gun and Presto!!
But make sure you don't put too much pressure on it! I hit the gun too hard at one point and it blew the cap off, not that it hurt anything but it scared the crap outta me!:icon_surprised:

Last edited:

john93rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First off I always see problems when people use silicon on a gasket all ways ends up leaking

Dale_K

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Too bad the auto parts stores don't rent the smoke testers. I had an old Boxster that was driving me crazy and I finally paid to have a smoke test done. If found all the leaks and was worth the money.

syed20

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sultan

I've been chasing vacuum leaks on my 94 Splash 4.0 and found quite a few. At first I used some risky Starter Fluid, as have many of us have bravely (or stupidly) done. I couldn't narrow it down at first so I tried a smoke test. I found some vids online on how to rig up a smoke can with a cigar. I could smell it but couldn't see where it was coming from as I was in the driveway with a breeze blowing. Back to the Starter Fluid I found a bad leak on the lower intake no.3 runner. I re-regasketed (already had it apart less than 200mi to redo the heads) DON'T listen to the Felpro instructions telling you not to add gasket sealer!! That's a bunch of Crap!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals