• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting Automatic Hubs To Manual Hubs On a 1993 Ranger

Ollie Octopus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
CONVERTING AUTOMATIC HUBS TO MANUAL HUBS ON A 1993 FORD RANGER
By: Ollie Octopus

For some time I was convinced I had shift motor, transfer case, or control module problems, when it was a *&%#&@* automatic hub problem all the time. Thanks to super mechanic Robert Cline for pointing me in the right direction.
To test if the 4x4 is working, press the 4W High button, and drive slowly in a paved parking lot. When you make a very sharp turn you will feel and hear terrible groans from the front wheels as they skid on the paved surface. The sound and feel are unmistakable. Don’t continue to drive on paved surfaces for any length of time as it is very hard on the 4x4 system and the tires.
I used a “Rugged Ridge Locking Hub Conversion Kit” (Part # 15003.65). My Ranger has the Dana 35, 27 spline, 5 bolt front axle.
When I looked up manual locking hubs, most sites said nothing about needing conversion kit consisting of a new bearing adjusting nut with a pin in it, a new lock washer, and a new locknut. The above mentioned kit has everything you need. You also are not told that it is mandatory to have a “4-Wheel Drive Spindle Nut Wrench/Socket.” I used OEM Part #25072, available at AutoZone.
You need this tool because the bearing nut has to be properly tightened by using a torque wrench. I understand some auto parts store will rent this item, but I bought one at AutoZone for $19.00. The tag says it is for Dana 44 Axles, but it fit my Dana 35 axle nuts. The Auto Craft 2 3/5” (AC650) “4x4 Spindle Nut Wrench WILL NOT FIT. Some posts suggest that a Hex Socket (Performance Tool W83240) is needed. I got by fine without this tool as the nut was not all that tight.
When I pulled the wheel on my Ranger, there were no clips holding on the hub. The first thing needed to be done is to remove the “C” clip located at the end of the splines. Mine was hard to find because it was under grease.
I used a hammer and punch to get it started, then a screwdriver to pry it off. This was done under a large rag in case the clip decided to go flying off into never-never land. I did not need “C” clip pliers to get it off. Once the clip was off I found it easy to slightly turn the nut in order to slide out the wedge with a magnet. Mine came out fairly easily. You will see the wedge in a key slot.
Unscrew the spindle nuts and then remove the outer bearing and re-grease it.
Now you are ready for reassembly. Install the new nut with the pin facing out. Tighten the nut to 35 ft/lbs to seat the bearing and turn the wheel. Then back it off about ¼ turn and torque it to 16 inch/pounds (not foot/pounds!). The equivalent is about 1 1/3 inch/pounds, but my torque wrench will not read that low, so I just tightened it enough so that there was no excess play.
Next you install the lock washer. Make sure the pin fits into one of the holes. There is a squared off tit in the washer that fits into the keyed slot.
Next install the other locknut and torque it to 150 ft/lbs. Then install the toothed washer (reused) on the shaft, and finally the “C” Clip (reused). I used the rag to cover it as much as I could so hopefully it would catch the clip if it went flying off during the install.
Put a light coat of grease on the inside of the manual hub (too much grease is a no-no), install it, put the wheel back on and you are done. Torque the ¾ inch lug nuts to 85-135 ft/lbs.
You will reuse only the "C" clip, and the toothed washer. The rest will be replaced with the three new parts.

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
not too hard to do, agreed. Thanks for the in depth post. you can also re-use the old auto hub nuts, with a simple bit of "grinding" on the "corners", to round them off.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
You have re-used the auto hub wheel bearing nuts Mudhound? Cause if you have I am going to stop ruining spindles and put my old auto hub ones with the magnet keyway back in!!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Kona..not sure if these will clear the D35 hubs or not...but they kick ass.

Stage 8 spindle nuts

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
^That looks like it should work very well. I just wonder about the strength of those folding tabs....

Edit: Also, what does the outermost retaining ring clip into? The threads?

babaladla123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Photos of a 83-88, 89-92, 93-97, and 98-present customized Rangers. Both 4wd and 2wd. Especially 2wd. We need to show people some nice clean custom Rangers. Especially lowered ones.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Kona..not sure if these will clear the D35 hubs or not...but they kick ass.

Stage 8 spindle nuts

^That looks like it should work very well. I just wonder about the strength of those folding tabs....

Edit: Also, what does the outermost retaining ring clip into? The threads?
Stage 8 locks are tits. The 44 spindle kit will fit the dana 35 spindles, but unfortunately they don't clear the locking hubs. I tried several years ago when i found stage 8 had a 44 kit...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals