• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Multifunction switch issue

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Im having the hardest time figuring out an issue with the multifunction switch.

When I would push down to engage the left turn signal it would make what sounded like a shorting out sound and plastic gears clicking together. After a few times of trying the turn signal would come on and the sound go away. Mainly it would do this on cold mornings (below freezing) before the cab warmed up. Then it started doing it when id try to engage the right turn signal. That's when I replaced the multifunction switch with a known working one and it fixed the right turn signal not engaging but the left still had the issue.

I swapped a total of 4 multifunction switches and cleaned the pins on both the switch and plugs. The right turn signal works but still the left will make that shorting sound 3 or 4 tries before I can actually get the turn signal to engage. The switch functions in every other way with no issues, just the left turn signal is the problem. Ive noticed as well that the shorting sound also happens when I turn the wheel to either side with or without the turn signal engaged.

Ive checked the wires in the steering column, used contact cleaner, conductive greace and the only thing left I can think of is to swap and repin the plugs. Other than that im out of ideas.

Last edited:

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Switches and wires are fairly straight forward until you get into intermittent issues. Sounds like it could be a break in the wiring, turn on the left blinker and start shaking harnesses. If the switch shoots 0 ohms when thrown the switch is good. If its a bad wire I always opt not to fix it and to run a new one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals