• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlight problems

rangerboy1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 1988 ranger and drove it home a few days ago.. Everything worked fine besides the radio. I took out the factory radio since it didn't work and installed an aftermarket one. Well in the process of chainging the radio i hit the headlight switch knob pretty hard by accident and then the headlights wouldn't work. The marker lights, tail lights, brake lights, tag lights and gauge lights all work.. But the dome light only works when the door is open and the headlights don't work at all on bright or dim settings.
It has a brand new turn signal switch, and a new headlight switch..
I used my Multi-meter to test voltage at the headlight sockets and they both have power.. But the lights dont work.. Is it possible that both headlights blew at the same time? :icon_confused:
Im not familiar with electrical stuff and i need some help.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That's certainly possible, however unlikely unless something has been shorted out.

Did you use the ground on the connector to check for power? I made that mistake the other day with my Rallys up front. Had power to the connectors but there was no ground.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It can be difficult to get the connector all the way on the switch make sure the connection is fully seated into the switch. be careful when reaching up there especially with the battery connected it could be a hot wire pushed out of the connector you dont want to short full time hot to ground sparks will fly and possible wire fire. Be careful

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I meant light switch bumping it may have shook the connector loose if it wasnt fully seated real easy to not get it all the way on, then push all the wires in individually.

rangerboy1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I figured it out guys, the plug for the headlight switch had a burn spot on it and one of the female plugs wasnt hooked up. And the old headlights had both burnt out on high and low beam settings.. I replaced the plug and bought two new headlights and boom they work like they're supposed to. It was confusing but it was a good learning experience.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Congrats. You've fixed your truck. AND learned something. Maybe the next problem won't seem so bad now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals