• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford 8.8 differential cover

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to replace the fluid in my rear diff, but have never changed fluid in an axle without a drainplug. When I remove the 8 or 10 bolts (on the rear of the differential) and take the cover off, is there a drain plug under the cover, or is the cover itself whats holding the fluid in...? If the cover itself is holding everything in, I assume theres some sort of O-ring there to seal it that should be replaced also. I only have a Haynes manual for the BII, I havent acquired one for the explorer that the axles came from, so I was hoping someone else running the 8.8 could help me out!
Thanks in advance for any advice!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The cover is sealed to the diff case with RTV and is the only means of retention for the fluid. Get a green dish scrubbie pad, and a couple cans of brake cleaner, and a tube of Permatex Ultra Black silicone.

Clean the case and the cover well, if you are careful you can also use a razor blade. When reinstalling the cover run a bead of silicone about the size of what you'd use toothpaste wise when brushing your teeth. Run along the center line and to the INSIDE of the bolt holes, and then put it on, run the bolts in, and wait about 10 minutes before you start filling it up.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, thats just what i needed to know. Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals