• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the limiting factor?

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I own a 2007 2wd Ranger, 2.3L 5spd - nothing fancy, just a simple little truck that gets great gas mileage. I see that Ford limits the towing to a 1580lb load. Now that doesn't seem like much to me. What is the limiting factor? Is it the 5spd transmission? The clutch? Ultimately I would like to tow a 17' Casita travel trailer that will weigh ~2800lbs full loaded.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
More than likely its the clutch that cant take it... that being said you could throw on bigger springs,brakes,shocks and a better to clutch to try and tow it but with a 2.3 dont expect to get there very quick and your still running the risk of gettin an overweight ticket with the right DOT Officer on a bad day.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's the fact that most people can't tow with a clutch, and Ford didn't want to replace clutches in vehicles people towed alot with and burnt them up prematurely... Ultimately, I'd say what really limits your towing ability is your brake setup...

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
It's the fact that most people can't tow with a clutch, and Ford didn't want to replace clutches in vehicles people towed alot with and burnt them up prematurely... Ultimately, I'd say what really limits your towing ability is your brake setup...
+1 I've never pulled a travel trailer with mine (mosly boats and utility trailers) but, 15' sounds like alot for a 2.3 to handle.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Although, I think it would handle 3,000 lbs alright, it would be the large cross sectional area (aka drag) that would kill the 2.3 pulling that trailer... If you really want to tow it, I'd look into a 4.0 Ranger...

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The limiting factor is the clutch, as has been said. But honestly, you have the worst possible combo for towing: 3.73, 4 cyl, 5 speed. I would be willing to bet that your truck will be over it's GCWR (which is what really matters, not max trailer weight) by probably 1500# or more. Best piece of advice, get a smaller lighter trailer, or a bigger ranger/truck

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
3.73's really aren't bad - 4.10 would obviously be slightly better. The 4 cylinder/5 speed combo has no effect on reliability or safety, just power. He's got plenty available to get a 2800 lb load rolling. As long as he isn't planning to run 75mph up a mountain, the 2.3 will be fine.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The limiting factor is the clutch, as has been said. But honestly, you have the worst possible combo for towing: 3.73, 4 cyl, 5 speed. I would be willing to bet that your truck will be over it's GCWR (which is what really matters, not max trailer weight) by probably 1500# or more. Best piece of advice, get a smaller lighter trailer, or a bigger ranger/truck
So, you're saying every trailer rig that is rated for 80K lbs is limited by the clutch? I don't think so... The limiting factor is NOT the clutch, Ford derates them as to not have to replace them under warranty to people that cannot tow with a manual... The limiting factor of most light duty pickups are the brakes... It is much more dangerous to not be able to stop a rig, than start it... I have no doubt you wouldn't have any trouble getting it up to 35mph or so if you know how to properly drive a manual equipped truck... I do agree that you need a larger truck though, above 35mph you would be killing the 2.3, it just doesn't have the power to pull something that heavy against that kind of drag...

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Power - not torque. Once you've hit peak torque RPM in 1st gear, the only thing that matters is power (above that engine speed you can always put it in the correct gear to generate the most possible torque at the driveshaft). A Duratec 2.3 is barely 10% off the power ratings of the latest 3.0 and the OHV 4.0.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Power - not torque. Once you've hit peak torque RPM in 1st gear, the only thing that matters is power (above that engine speed you can always put it in the correct gear to generate the most possible torque at the driveshaft). A Duratec 2.3 is barely 10% off the power ratings of the latest 3.0 and the OHV 4.0.
Better? :icon_thumby:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Terminology, absolutely. I just don't follow your logic about it not having the power. Are you saying the OHV 4.0 couldn't pull this trailer either?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I think a 4.0 OHV could... I forget that the Duratec is that close in power to the OHV... I think as long as he stays below 55mph he should be fine... I think the drag would kill it after that, if it's the kind of trailer I'm thinking about...

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
When it comes to power my Xterra with a whopping 120hp V6 pulls my Ranger just fine down the highway on a 1200lbs car trailer.... you can tow with a low power engine just dont get in a hurry and avoid windy days... like I said though I was guessing at the clutch but since that has been corrected your brakes are going to be an issue UNLESS the travel trail has brakes on the axles.. then dont get in a hurry to get rollin or stopped and avoid slipping the clutch as much as possible and you should be cool.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When it comes to power my Xterra with a whopping 120hp V6 pulls my Ranger just fine down the highway on a 1200lbs car trailer.... you can tow with a low power engine just dont get in a hurry and avoid windy days... like I said though I was guessing at the clutch but since that has been corrected your brakes are going to be an issue UNLESS the travel trail has brakes on the axles.. then dont get in a hurry to get rollin or stopped and avoid slipping the clutch as much as possible and you should be cool.
Your rig together also has way less cross sectional area, therefore less drag... I'm not saying it couldn't do it, I just think above 45/50mph it would start to struggle, due to wind resistance... I don't know what the trailer looks like though...

GMWIGGS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 & 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The limiting factor like most have mentioned is brakes, brakes and more brakes. With the weight you are looking at towing around, you should be able to get that up to speed within reason (55mph or under). However, I wouldn't tow that much weight that fast in my ranger simply because of braking and handling issues. I tow a 3000+ lb boat with my 3.0 auto all the time. I can get it over 55mph no problem, its just that with all that weight all the bumps you hit and what not makes the truck sway in ways I'm not comfortable with. Stopping is the most important though, I can feel my boat pushing my truck when brakeing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals