• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What problems arise from towing a trailer with the tongue slightly avobe horizontal p

virgilsc

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will be towing a boat and I installed a towing ball directly on the step bumper of my truck, once I latched my truck and trailer I noticed that the trailer tongue is about 3" above horizontal position. Can this provoke a potentially dangerous situation when I tow the trailer, what are the cons of doing this?

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
first off i wouldnt trust anything to being towed with a ball on the bumper of a ranger......you should get a receiver. otherwise im not sure the problems. you need enough weight to push on the ball but not pull up the back of the truck when you hit a bump.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
First off, towing with a bumper ball is fine, depending on the weight. I hauled a number of things before it became apparent that it was going to keep happening and the loads were probably going to increase. That's when I got my Reese receiver.

My bumper nearly totaled an F150 (had to be flat-bedded off the scene) and the only damage it had was scratches and bent inwards a little. I finally bent the ball when I had to help a friends blazer out of a ditch and was stuck using my ball as my only tow point. Everything pointed to me having to upgrade.

How big is said boat?

If it's only 3" taller I can't imagine that'd have any adverse effects.

If I had to speculate, if it's too much higher up the trailer may run into some tracking issues and want to wonder a bit. Too far down... well, there's only so much room for that. You'd probably be well into the pavement before that became an issue.

Weight. Boat trailers are pretty good at having the rear wheels fairly far back from the pivot point. But if you're having a problem pack some gear at the bow, having about 150-300lbs on the tongue helps alot (for a bumper), and the proper amount will vary with the trailers overall weight, but about 75-100lbs minimum. I usually quote 200-400lbs for a receiver.

satan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I will be towing a boat and I installed a towing ball directly on the step bumper of my truck, once I latched my truck and trailer I noticed that the trailer tongue is about 3" above horizontal position. Can this provoke a potentially dangerous situation when I tow the trailer, what are the cons of doing this?
With the tongue high - depending on the trailer's suspension design, you will be adding caster to the towed trailer - this should actually force the trailer to track a little better -- some suspensions (i.e. torsion) may operate slightly differently as the angle at the torsion arm would be different than design (though 3" on a long-tongued light-boat trailer would prolly not show any notable difference).

The largest issue with tongue high will be braking -- the braking force (ball to coupler) will move to favor the latching mechanism. The latch is primarily designed to trap the ball in the coupler so that forces can be applied to the centerline (or near to centerline) of the ball. so that the ball and coupler see loading at a right-angle to the mounting surface - Tongue high in braking will load the ball lower with a "lifting" vector that would be in turn loaded into the coupler's clamp -- Generally speaking -- the tongue of a boat trailer is quite long so that the angle at the ball is minimized.

In short, while a 2" drop would probably be "near perfect" for this situation - a light-weight trailer that does not approach the bumper-tow load limits of your ride oughta do fine. Tongue high should be more stable than a tongue low configuration. If you ensure that the clamp on the trailer's coupler is tight you shouldn't experience anything untoward. Heavy braking (depending on velocity of travel and the relative mass of both vehicles) may cause your rear-en to feel a bit lighter than usual (lifting from the trailer), though I would expect this to be minimal unless this is a SHORT trailer for a HEAVY boat; rear-lightening during braking could cause your rear brakes to become less effective (loss of tire-to-pavement traction). This same lightening would also exist while decelerating in a turn -- If the boat is sufficiently massive lifting and pushing the rear sideways may cause a fish-tail or full jack-knife, though again, I would assume that this is a smaller boat with a long tongue (low tongue angle) trailer...

Be careful, and enjoy!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I thought the only "caster" at trailer axle, was in it's suspension movement. Being it doesn't have ball joints nor a steering axis. So it doesn't really matter the relation of the axle to the ground.

I guess the leaf movement could still be technically set up to move upwards slightly toward the back. I don't know if that still simulates caster or not.

I also thought that it was backwards since it was being dragged. Though now thinking of the principle of how caster works, this seems wrong.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i see trailers on hitch balls that are at serious angles, i'm always afraid the latch is going to let loose and the trailer will be left to ride on the safety chains. receiver hitch, adjustable height ball mount in it, and i keep my trailer level with my truck.
but that's just me.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
a picture of our setup would be really ideal. However 3 inches should not be a problem, you didnt say what kind of boat, is it a bass boat all decked out with a 200hp yamaha? Or just a little johnboat? details will help thoroughly answer this question.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Also if it is a single axle or tandem axle trailer would be good to know.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If someone greases the trailer-side of the boat it may slide off.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry but if you tow like this you're asking for trouble. If you can't set up a trailer hitch at the right height , then don't tow. I wrecked a brand new Yukan because of my stupidity and I think you're heading that way as well...
Hope you enjoy the ditch :D

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My bumper nearly totaled an F150 (had to be flat-bedded off the scene) and the only damage it had was scratches and bent inwards a little. I finally bent the ball when I had to help a friends blazer out of a ditch and was stuck using my ball as my only tow point. Everything pointed to me having to upgrade.

lol i been there, the stock bumpers are just as beefy as a fullsize truck, i was rearended 7 times in my old ranger(gotta love jersey) and eveerything always lost the fight and the bumper just smiled, including a club cab dakota which was totaled, frame bent and all lol

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If someone greases the trailer-side of the boat it may slide off.
Old thread I know, but ..... who the FAWK greases the side of a boat? And if they they were that stupid, it explains why the boat wasnt strapped down. Im done.:icon_rofl:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

When DG does this one of two things are possible.

He just got back from refilling his meds, or you really are that funny!

I'm going to vote for funny, since there's none of his usual meds-induced bouncing blue people in this post.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Old thread I know, but ..... who the FAWK greases the side of a boat? And if they they were that stupid, it explains why the boat wasnt strapped down. Im done.:icon_rofl:
You've never been to South Central PA, have you?

Our water has a different coefficient of friction. We have to grease our canoe or it doesn't move through the water very well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals