• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Voltage issues

buckshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heres the history of the problem:

about 2 weeks ago I was driving along, my music got louder, my headlights got brighter, my heater fan got louder, electric temp all of a sudden went to nothing, oil pressure went really high(this is the electric switch oil pressure gauge, oil pressure has been verified normal with a mech gauge). voltmeter went to about 20 volts, and amp light came on. I pushed in the clutch, car idled down, and everything went back to normal.

My car never had a constant voltage after(and possibly before that) every time i started up i would get a slightly different base voltage(between 12-14.5) and oil pressure. I started using my voltage to predict the weather(12 volts meant rain, 12.5 clouds, 14 really bloody hot the next day). While driving the voltage stayed more or less constant, but always at a slightly different value then the last time i drove the car. Oil pressure would be a different value each time, some times would freak out between on and off at idle, and would stay constant to about 2.5-3 grand then shoot up a bit and stay constant there until rpm dropped again. Clicking on the panel lights made my voltage drop a little, my temp gauge read a little higher, and my oil pressure a little lower.

On sunday I was driving at work, and all of a sudden my voltage went really high, accompanied by all of the symptoms from before. This time i would get normal voltage at idle, but anything faster and the voltage would climb. I disconnected my voltage regulator and drove it home on the battery.

I rebuilt the alternator, new Voltage regulator, Brushes, Rectifier, bearings, assuming my voltage regulator had gone out. Put the rebuilt alternator in yesterday and it actually made the problem worse and better at the same time. I get constant voltage until 1500rpm, then by 2000rpm my voltage is pegged beyond 20 and at about 2500rpm my amp light comes on. Voltage has been varified as being unregulated with a voltmeter, aswell as the fact that the lights in the car get brighter, fan faster, ect. My oil pressure guage now twitches at idle, and reads higher with rising rpm/voltage.

My only guess is a bad ground somewhere? Maybe the block ground? Beyond that I'm a little stumped I've never heard of anyone having similar problems...

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a bad ground cannot create electricity. your regulator still isnt working properly and if you keep running the truck like it is, your vary liable to cause long term damage in the form of a fried electronics and possibly fire.

buckshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah, the vehicle is off the road i'm well aware of the dangers involved, my thought is a bad ground not causing the regulator to work properly, I've traced the wire back as far as I can, so what else could be responsible for this problem

buckshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
tried a different regulator, still same issue. Is anyone on here able to tell me how the voltage regulator works on one of these? I know a fair bit about electronics, just not the specifics of the charging system...The issue has now become intermittant aswell, usually overvolts as soon as it fires up, and then is more or less ok with reving, sometimes as i'm letting OFF the gas from 3000rpm the voltage spikes about 2v.

I can't find anything wrong with this engine or its electrical, I really need to get my car back on the road...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals