• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger xlt 2wd

Xlt93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just bought a 2wd 5 speed 2.3 ranger...when you go to take off don't matter 1st or reverse and go to release clutch it bogs out like your trying to take off in 5th gear or brake is on or stuck but I can easily get out and move the truck by hand in my driveway.. I'm stumped I bought it for 600 bucks pretty much rust free and guy thought brake was bad but I don't see that being issue consideri g I can push it freely it's got 143k on it any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Problem doesn't ring and bells

Can you "get going" using engine, or does just lock up and engine will die?

Can you shift transmission into all the gears?

Have you tried 4th gear?
Yes it would bog but 4th gear in this trans(M5OD-R1) is a direct drive to drive shaft, other parts in the transmission are not used

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Could be a mechanical problem in the transmission, but more likely is a fuel or air problem. If the MAF had a nest of critters, it would cause the engine to fall on its face whenever the throttle was opened, as would also happen if the fuel supply, pressure or volume, was less than necessary.
I'd inspect the MAF, and check fuel pressure and delivery before chasing other causes.

The above is based on being able to eventually get the truck to move after it bogs and tries to stall. If you can 'nurse' it past the stalling, and finally get going, shifting normally, then it is likely not a transmission problem.
tom

Xlt93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I didn't get back sooner it didn't tell me anyone replied...this is the weird part...if I make the engine push thru it it will quit doing it after driving it and moving it around then when I park it for say 15 minutes or longer bam right back...neighbor said sounds like a bad slave cylinder not engaging clutch properly

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So the truck can move under it's own power.

Can't see it being a clutch issue, from your description
Check transmission fluid level, M5OD-R1 uses ATF , yes Automatic Transmission Fluid, Mercon-V is specified
On drivers side of trans is a drain bolt and a fill bolt, remove fill bolt and fluid should start to leak out if it is full, if not then put finger in the hole to see if you can feel the level.
If you can't tell the level I would put a pan down and drain current fluid.
Have a look at it, should be clean RED look of ATF, not blackish, and not Gear Oil that is used in most manual transmissions, and of course, no metal bits should drain out :)

Previous owner could have used Gear Oil which will make trans hard to shift.
M5OD-R1 has fluid capacity of 5.6 pints(2.8 quarts), of Mercon V, Motorcraft XT5QMC

Last edited:

Xlt93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yesterday I changed rear end fluid and seal and so far so good haven't had a hard take off yet fingers crossed gave it a tune up also poor truck the wires fell apart in my hands and there was nothing left of the plugs electrode not sure how it was running so good...also change oil and filter and changed out the transmission fluid as I was told...thanks for everyone's advice I'll repost if it comes back and I find any issues...

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
So, after you 'push through it', the engine has warmed up, and it will be okay. A 15 minute rest will make it stubborn again. I would suggest again checking fuel supply. I doubt a fluid change would make a significant difference that would reset after 15 minutes. If there was gear oil installed, it would not get too thick again in 15 minutes.
OTOH, if a fuel pump is weak, or a filter partially plugged, the pump could drain back after 15 minutes, making it again run somewhat weakly.
If you start the engine and let it idle for 10-15 minutes, until good and warmed up, will it still be difficult to get going? IOW, is it temperature sensitive, or more 'time'(the 15 minute thing)?
The MAF would not heal itself after running if you 'power through' the weak-kneed experience. I think if it were compromised, it would stay that way.
tom

Xlt93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What ever it was it hasn't done it since I changed all fluids I just recently gave it a tune up and now it starts a little weird and misfire once in awhile I gapped plugs to .045 and ran all motorcraft stuff wires plugs etc...i did find a hard plastic line the runs to a box by the battery and to back of motor not connected to anything but I open new post for that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals