• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 2.4 still won’t start

Oestreich0785

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I bought a 92 ranger 2.4 last year and it wouldn’t start I got it for cheap so I figured I could fix it. I was originally told it needed an ECM.
I replaced the ecm. ($140) it was supposed to be pre programmed.
Didn’t start so I started to do a checklist. Fuel pressure was a few pounds under what it should of been so I replaced it. Still wouldn’t start. So I changed plugs (all 8) and wires, cap and rotor TPS and checked the injectors which all seem to be working properly. From what I can tell the timing is on although I was told by someone it looked a couple teeth off. It’s kind of difficult to tell for me if it’s on or not. So after I’ve sunk over $500 in it I am reluctant to sink more money in it.
Any advice on what could still be the issue?
I’m very tempted to just let it sit until I’m able to think about doing a full motor swap. I’m very frustrated and since it’s sitting in my driveway it’s becoming an eye sore. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Before throwing more parts, do an actual check.
Squirt some fuel into a vacuum line attached to the intake manifold(so the fuel goes into the manifold). Crank. If it pops and snorts, you know it likes fuel, and has spark.
Pull a spark plug wire(passenger side. Stuff a spare plug into the wire, and ground the plug to the engine. Drivers side aren't used all the time) Crank, and watch for spark. No spark, fix that.
Rotate the crankshaft so the timing notch on the pulley is aligned with the TDC mark on the belt cover. If that's missing, align the woodruff key to 12noon. Check the triangle on the cam sprocket through the hole in the belt cover, behind the upper radiator hose. It should align with a pointer or a line cast into the head. If not aligned, your cam timing is off. While at TDC, check the rotor if you have a distributor, to make sure it is pointing at the position for #1 plug wire.(if the cam is timed at the triangle, otherwise it could be #4 plug wire position)
If all the above don't get you anywhere, pull all the plugs, and check compression. It should be in the 140psi range if the engine is in good condition, less psi indicates less good.
tom

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How did you replace the fuel pressure?

Also, Ford never put a 2.4L in the Ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals