• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch master cylinder rod removal?

orvil01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

Basically to make a long story short the rod that connects my clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder broke. Ive remove the clutch interlock switch, but cannot figure out how to get the rod out of the master cylinder. I did some searching and i guess there is some type of clip in there. I have tried about everything i can think of to release the clip with no sucess. Short of replcing the clutch master cylinder does anyone have any suggestions?
Truck is a 1998 with a 2.5l 5 speed.
Name is James btw been a member off and on over the years.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You can unbolt the master cylinder from the firewall, and should be able to move it towards the radiator for close inspection. It may have a spring-loaded horseshoe clip holding at the base of the master, on the inner side of the firewall. You'd press the master towards the rear of the truck, and slide the clip off. That would allow for removal. On most.
I don't think a clip holds the clutch rod, but there is a circlip holding the piston from falling out onto the floor.
tom

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey James,

I don't have the exact answer for your question, but I hope my recent experience helps.

I just removed my master cylinder yesterday, since I'm going to be pulling the M5OD for slave cylinder/clutch replacement.

My 95 has the newer style master that doesn't "bolt" to the firewall, you simply push the master toward the rear of the truck, and twist clockwise 1/8 turn (this assumes you are working from the engine bay). I had the line disconnected from the slave, but I think there's enough slack to allow you to pull the master through the firewall.

Once you get it out in the open, you *may* be able to remove the pushrod from the master (I've heard its a damn PITA) since you'll have better access to the system, but heck, why not just spend the $30-$40 and get a new master cylinder kit. I got mine at Advance Auto (Perfection Clutch brand) and it includes a new master, reservoir, metal pushrod, and a fresh o-ring and roll pin for the clutch line.

Here's a link to an old thread with a diagram and master removal info (scroll down to post #5):

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23215

Lindamechanic

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ford ranger broken clutch pedal broken rod

There is a small clip that holds the rod in which is attached to the plunger. It has to be removed as one piece.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Lind A Mechanic, if Orvil hasn't figured it out in 7 years, I don't think anything posted here will help.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals