• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 tlc

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
That looks damn good. Maybe im nuts, but a red plenium with the lettering done in black would be totally bad ass.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Got my dual straights off the headers done. Needs a crossover. Also found driver side head cracked from torquing it on. Not over torqued either. Moving on to head #2

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Head replaced, runs fine. Coolant in oil again. Pulling intake again, anybody looking for some 2.9 parts? Might have some of the good stuff for sale soon.

kaidenshi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That looks damn good. Maybe im nuts, but a red plenium with the lettering done in black would be totally bad ass.
Nah you're not nuts. That's how I painted mine when I put the new engine in the '88.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Nah you're not nuts. That's how I painted mine when I put the new engine in the '88.

I thought about doing mine like this but black on black. Anyone ever painted the lower intake?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

That is flat bad ass.

The 2.9 has a sexy plenium anyways...but damn.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Reminds me of the guy years ago on here that had fully polished the upper intake and a bunch of other parts. Looked like a mirror under the hood. Yours is a lot more tasteful, I like it a lot!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

kaidenshi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Reminds me of the guy years ago on here that had fully polished the upper intake and a bunch of other parts. Looked like a mirror under the hood. Yours is a lot more tasteful, I like it a lot!
Thanks! I figured, red Bronco red engine. It was a quick and dirty spray job, I'm no painter by any means (check out the rattle can fender on my profile pic (which only shows up if you go to my profile and not in the sidebar, I guess 'cause I'm a newbie)).

One day I'll find the time and money to degrease the engine and engine compartment properly, install pretty, clean, expensive hoses and wires, paint the engine again, and have the body painted and re-trimmed. One day...

kaidenshi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 2.9 has a sexy plenium anyways...but damn.
I know. I never understood why the other V engines couldn't be done like that. Why did Ford have to go and hang the other intakes over a valve cover where they are in the way of things?

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Coolant leaks all handled, 02 sensor in. Still waiting for muffler but she drove 200 miles the last few days and runs good. She's not a 4.0 torque monster, but it makes a CONSIDERABLE amount of power above 3k compared to what it used to do. It no longer starts to putter off after 4k but is just starting to make its power. Gas mileage isn't anything to brag about. But I'm hoping a muffler and maybe swapping back to the smaller throttle body will help with my torque and fuel consumption. Definitely feels a lot peppier than it did before as is. I'd put it against a stock 4.0 any day.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I know. I never understood why the other V engines couldn't be done like that. Why did Ford have to go and hang the other intakes over a valve cover where they are in the way of things?

Im guessing because of the taller deck heights of the V8s/I6s and the 3.0 being slated for low hooded tauruses it was pry for clearence issues.

Good to hear your 2.9 runs good. I take flack for it all the time but ive always felt the 2.9 even in stock form could hold its own against even the "mighty" 4.0. I guess to me the 4.0 was always kinda dissapointing considering its displacement advantage over the 2.9. For being 1.1L bigger i always thought it shoulda been wayyy ahead of the 2.9, and to some it is, but ive never really seen it. A 2.9/5sp its a tough little combo to beat, and wayyy above the crap it was competeing against (2.8 GM, Nissans 3.0 and yotas V6 of that time), replacing it with the 3.0 really was a step backwards.

Ive driven a few 3.0/5sp trucks, and just letting up the clutch and stabbing the throttle from an idle roll doesnt give that "snap" the 2.9 does. I never drove a OHV 4.0 with a 5sp, but the auto ones, while admittingly stronger then the 2.9/autos, just were kinda, meh.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals