• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dpfe valve problems

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
hello, I have replaced the dpfe valve on my 94 ranger w/2.3l this coming time will be #4. It came with the original metal one, and now it gives codes 336 (memory) and 337 (koeo). Upon removal there seems to be water inside the dpfe. this time I had the wrong dpfe and so I shook water out of it and reinstalled it and the check engine light does not come on as much as before. what can be done about the water and does that seem like it would be the cause of the light going on and the codes I'm getting? I also checked the egr valve, it was not too carbonated but I cleaned and checked it for holding suction it is okay. I think I might try shoving a wire through the metal tubes from the ex manifold that lead to the dpfe valve. any help w/be great

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's not a valve. It's a pressure sensor.

I have never heard of a DPFE getting water in it though.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If it was mounted upside down, condensation could accumulate. Most are mounted with the fittings pointing towards the ground.
Given that it works, I'd want to open it to atmosphere and let it drain and dry.

Is your exhaust or catalytic converter plugged? Are you in arctic conditions?
tom

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
it is mounted on the firewall, ports pointed down. no artic weather here, hot Georgia stuff. condensation would happen with a exaust system right? but I thought it would flow out of the thing naturally. but what else would make them go bad so quick? it reads the diff in the two points on the manifold, so maybe it flows (water) out the lower pressure pipe. which would that be? thanks for any insight here.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Have you or someone else replaced either of the two hoses? They are made of expensive stuff(check replacement cost) that can handle the heat of the exhaust. If someone replaced with standard tubing, it could get plugged or restricted due to internal melting or ???, leading to flow problems. Could conceivably result in collection of water from the exhaust gas. Out there, but explainable.
There really should not be any 'flow' of exhaust gas, except for the small amount it takes to fill both tubes. The gas should then expand and contract minimally as the pressure differential between them allows/forces flow. Imagine two pipes that feed opposite sides of a drum head. The flexible part will move in either direction based on the pressure differential, thus the name of the critter in question. As it moves, it will also move an electronic gizmo(resistor?) and change a value, which the computer figures out to be EGR flow. More or less.
If the tubes leak, gas will flow, and can then also cause condensation. I think, after consideration, the problem lies in the connecting tubes or their fit to the sensor.
tom

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
replaced the hoses, the right kind too, one needed a longer one that did not match the one from autozone so I went to ford dealer that sold by the foot, left them 20$ for that. Now I replaced this dpfe again, so the light is out now. how to keep it from failing? do you think forcing a wire or such down the 2 pipes that feed the dpfe from the manifold would help or would it hurt? how to tell if there is a exaust blockage/restriction? truck was sitting in unused state for 1 or 2 yrs before I bought it in 2015/2016 aprox 135k then thanks all.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
What brand DPFE? I understand some brands are not as dependable or reliable as others, and some have a very short working lifetime. I have only done one on a 3.8 several years ago, and it seems to be still functional(no light... knock on formica).
Many swear at, not by, Dorman products. I have used some to OK results, so cannot enter the brand war.
If you consider them to be a 'wear item' and just figure on replacing them every two-three years, then it is no longer a problem!!... heh.
As noted, the only way you can get condensation would be for there to be a flow of gas that had high humidity. And it must flow, or have access to 'changing' air. The amount of H2O in the volume of the DPFE & hoses combined must be less than 1/4cup... how much water could be in that? Additionally, the gas does not flow through the DPFE, just shows up in the hose, and hangs out, being pushed or pulled a bit by the difference in pressure depending on EGR flow. No better answer from me...
tom

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
dpfe sensor

from advance, think it is a bdw or bwd or something like that, with d shaped connector. thanks for imput.

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
water has been found in the dpfe several times, how or why, I don't know. does this cause failure? how to treat this? codes 336,337 thanks for your consideration.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals