• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Having trouble starting my truck SOMETIMES...?

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So Monday morning I went to school... Came home... Ate lunch... Came out few hours to go to work. Truck cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. Kept trying for about 15 minutes and it kicked on and drove to work no problem. Came home that night no problem. Started and drove Tuesday a couple of times... Went to school this morning. Came out.. doing same thing again. Started after like 30 minutes.

Truck is 99 ranger. 4x4 v6. 210k miles. Still OG clutch btw! lol

Didn't know what could be since it's randomly working and randomly not... Any ideas?

Check engine light is not on. Remembered I had a OBD2 scanner and went outside just now... truck started just fine..
P1151 - Powertrain
P0300 - Powertrain - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0171 - Powertrain - System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 - Powertrain - System too Lean (Bank 2)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump may be dying.

Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds when you turn key on, it is not quiet, you can hear the HUMMM in the cab.
Cycle the key on and off a few times so you get to know what it sounds like.

Then at next No Start listen for it, if you don't hear it you found the problem

The Lean codes could also be a sign the fuel pump is wearing out

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It was my guess. I tried to listen for it today but dang beeps in my can Everytime I turn my key to that position couldn't hear too too much. But I don't think I did hear it... Will fuel pump randomly not work and then work other times like this though? Honestly I'd be thrilled if it was just the fuel pump... Or potentially a fuel pump relay maybe?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Computer turns on fuel pump relay for those 2 seconds, and then turns it on full time when engine RPMs are above 400(engine started).
Computer also has a Monitor wire, on inertia switch, that tells it if fuel pump is getting 12v when relay is closed.
So if fuel pump relay was the issue you should get a code for "circuit voltage low"(P0231).

Yes, electric motors can get "startup" issues, once running they tend to stay running but startup can be intermittent.
Many experience this with starter motors or 4x4 shift motors, i.e. they don't work but after tapping them with hammer they start to work again

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So you're saying it could be the starter... Even thought it's cranking fine Everytime? Just wanting to get my truck sorted. But dang thing works fine most of the time lol. I don't care to replace starter and fuel pump and even fuel pump relay. It's not that much money to do these things. I just want reliability

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
... Will fuel pump randomly not work and then work other times like this though?
No, I said electric motors "like" starter motors can be intermittent.
The fuel pump is an electric motor so can be intermittent , nothing is wrong with your starter motor

Do 50/50 test next time there is a no start to see if its fuel or spark issue
Spray gasoline or Quick Start(ether) into the engine
Try to start engine
If it starts and dies then fuel system is the issue
If it doesn't start then spark is the issue
50/50

Last edited:

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Will do... my question is... about the relay part... i ran these codes when my truck was working and starting fine... would it still show that power fuel relay code the time it worked?

catfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey im new and not sure im in the appropriate spot. that being said, i have a 97 ranger with a 4.0 and an m5odr1 its 4x4 also. so the truck will turn over a couple times then will not do anything but still has power all the lights are on the interior and exterior. i checked the signal terminal on the starter selinoid and it has no power after the initial start. ive checked all fuses and relays they are all good nothing was blown. ive replaces the starter, starter solenoid, cpps, and the ignition switch and still nothing. im at a loss any help would be much appriciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey im new and not sure im in the appropriate spot. that being said, i have a 97 ranger with a 4.0 and an m5odr1 its 4x4 also. so the truck will turn over a couple times then will not do anything but still has power all the lights are on the interior and exterior. i checked the signal terminal on the starter selinoid and it has no power after the initial start. ive checked all fuses and relays they are all good nothing was blown. ive replaces the starter, starter solenoid, cpps, and the ignition switch and still nothing. im at a loss any help would be much appriciated

Welcome to TRS :)

Did you measure battery voltage?

Good battery reads 12.3 to 12.8 volts key off, and after sitting a few hours

Under 12.2v is a bad/failing battery, it will crank engine over a few times then quit, lights would still work.
Starter motor takes 70-80amps, lights 5-10amps so no comparison

Larger Positive cable on the battery should run directly to the larger terminal on the Starter Motor.
Smaller terminal on the Starter Motor is the actual starter solenoid and if you apply 12volt to that smaller terminal the starter motor should work IF larger Positive cable is OK and Larger Negative Battery Cable is OK
Both Positive AND Negative battery cables need to be in good condition or 70-80amps can not pass thru starter motor.

If you do test starter solenoid, give smaller terminal 12volts, BE VERY VERY CAREFUL!!!
Starter will work key off or on, and if in gear truck WILL lurch forward.

If starter works by applying 12volt to solenoid then your problem is in the activation system.

Battery(12v)-------fuse--------ignition switch------fuse-------Safety switch--------starter relay--------starter solenoid

Safety switch is either a Clutch switch(manual trans) or a Park/Neutral switch(automatic)

If starter works at first then fuses and safety switch are fine, I would suspect low battery voltage, or larger Negative or Positive battery cables, they are bad

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok. So truck wasn't starting... Fuel pump was not priming. This happened at like 10 last night... Woke up this morning to do some test in dsy light and it started right up.... I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump relay and fuel pump... Will be here tomorrow. One of those two things... Or the wiring between is about all it could be correct? Just trying to nail down what to do lol. The dang thing is starting again and it's so annoying :(

Rangerlifefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel pump. Mine did the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ill give it a whirl here in next few days! its so obnoxious because it starts working for days at a time and :( fuel pump. its what i figured. thanks bro. ill report back asap.

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So not sure what forum to put this under... But I'm replacing my fuel pump. Taking truck bed off method... I got 5/6 bolts out... The last one... One right above the fuel tank broke. Awesome. See attached. I have to go to work now... Didn't have time to investigate anything else... But what are my options. I can't even get the bed off at this point can I? I'll attach a pic

And up close...

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The bed is completely free now, with the exception of the fuel filler neck screws and the wiring harness connector. Take it off and go for it. Two people lifting at the wheel wells works pretty well.

To remove the broken bolt:
Once you get the bed off, either cut the bolt down flush with the clip-nut and then pry the nut off, or cut the folded side of the clip-nut.

To replace the broken bolt:
If you live in a dry area, go to the pick-a-part yard with a can of penetrating oil and get replacements for any of yours that don't look good. If you live in a rust-prone area, then order a new set.

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Kinda urgent if someone can. Working on it now... So today my fuel pump is working... So I removed relay 9... The fuel pump relay according to my manual... The fuel pump still primes and starts. I was wanting to have it not prime and get all pressure out... What's going on? Lol. Why truck still working with fuel pump relay out..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals