• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing across the country with a 2.3 duratec

r3j2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Like the title says, I'm moving from MD to WA in January. I've got an 08 Ranger XLT with the 4 banger, plus some all terrains and a truetrac in the back. I figured I'd just rent a U-haul, load it up and go. The problem is, due to availability I think I'm going to have to rent a 6x12 trailer, which is going to put me pretty close to the 4800lbs max that my Ranger is rated to tow.

Guess I'm just looking for advice, any care or maintenance I should take care of before going, or someone telling me I'm nuts. Anyone ever hauled that much weight for 3500 miles? How was getting over the Rockies?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where did you get the towing weight of 4,800lbs?

'08 ranger w/2.3l with Automatic trans is rated at 2,240lbs towing
With manual trans it's 1,580lbs

MAXIMUM GCWR looks to be 4,800lbs for manual and 5,400lbs for automatic, this is the max. combined weight of the vehicle, cargo and trailer weight.
Truck weights in at 3,030 dry, so make it 3,100lbs with gas
That would leave you 1,700lbs for trailer(unloaded weight) and cargo, in the bed and in the trailer.

Empty weight of a u-haul 6x12 utility(open top) trailer is 1,730lbs
6x12 Cargo(enclosed) trailer is 1,920lbs

So even an empty 6x12 trailer would not be advisable.

There is also the "legal" aspect of towing, if you are even a pound over weight and there is an accident, not even your fault, your insurance company can "walk away" legally, because you were knowingly driving an unsafe vehicle.
It is up to you to know vehicle limits.

I would look at shipping a container from point A to point B, and skip the trailer, if the schedule is open you can often get a good deal on cross country shipping.
So just take the stuff you need daily in the truck, ship the stuff you can live without for a few weeks.

As far as towing with an automatic, a trans cooler is a good add-on, even if you have one in the rad, add another in-line.
Trailers with tongue brakes can really help ease the strain on truck brakes when slowing down

Last edited:

r3j2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh no, I made a big mistake. I thought the GCWR did not include the weight of the truck itself. The U-haul website also asked for the specs of the truck and cleared it to tow the 6x12.

I'm not looking to do anything out of spec or illegally, guess I'll have to make other arrangements.

I do have the manual transmission, and I have powerstop brakes up front and new shoes and drums in the rear.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ very good advice.
Going over the rockies>>> brakes are what I'd worry about first. I wouldn't tow a trailer that didn't have it's own brakes.
Second is the possibility of overheating. An extra inline trans cooler is STRONGLY ADVISED.
This move is also in the middle of winter, chains are essential and studded snows would be a good idea.
Good luck,

Richard

r3j2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, I'll pick up some chains. Looks like I won't be towing anything. As for the trans cooler, would it be useful with a manual transmission? I thought that most heat comes from frequent shifting, so I was going to just keep it out of 5th and slow down.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I moved from Montana to Ohio a few years ago. My fiance and I made it a road trip, went from MT to the Oregon coast, down through CA, then over to Ohio. 5500 miles in about a week and a half. Had about 2400 lbs in my trailer, and about 500-700 in the bed.

I have a Lima 2.3 so its not the same motor, but I'll say this, it wasnt easy. But I also have a 5 speed. In the mountains I tried not to overwork it, running about 50mph in 3rd gear seemed to be the ticket for keeping things cool, and at a reasonable rpm.

In travelling west through Washington we had 45 mph winds to fight against the whole time. Get used to driving along with big rigs.

But the longest I've hauled over 4k with my truck was just across town, and I don't plan on it again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, you do not need a trans cooler for a manual trans in your case.

U-haul does offer "the pods" for moving, you load them up and they get them shipped for you, never use it.

Moving companies often have empty space on containers that are going cross-country, so you can get a good deal on filling out the empty space.

r3j2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, sounds like a pod or the like is the best option for me. Really jumps the price point, but it's better than me sitting in Ohio somewhere with a blown transmission.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The trans cooler option would be for an auto. You didn't specify which trans you had in your OP. I don't think you would have a problem with the manual trans but unless you're good with a stick you will have problems with burning the clutch. I've been driving for 35 years and just recently learned how bad I am with a manual, especially towing...but it's never too late to learn.

Richard

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'll add a bit here for the benefit of others. You mentioned all terrains? running with larger tires seriously degrades braking. there is a significant difference between your stock 225-70/ 15 and even the 235-75/15. going larger still makes it worse.
As for power, the 2.3 has adequate power to tow anything reasonable, UNTIL you hit a high mountain pass.
The size of what is towed as compared to the size of what is towing has to be kept reasonable. I've towed Taurus' on dollys with my 2000 4x4 and that much weight really tossed the truck around on less than perfect pavement.
5 x 8 trailers behind my 05 2.3 were not a problem.

Good luck on the move, wave as you pass thru Toledo.

Perry

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh no, I made a big mistake. I thought the GCWR did not include the weight of the truck itself.
What did you think the "combination" part referred to?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals