• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

265 75 r16 tire preasure

BTlilred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have any wisdom on what pressure to run? Just wondering if anyone has figured out a magic number or a base I can start from.

Specs: 09 ranger fx4
265 75 r16 on stock wheels
Passenger tire
Cooper adventurer A/Ts

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I have always run the tire pressure listed on the door. Not sure if this is correct or not. I argue a lot with Father-in-Law about this. He says Max Pressure as listed on tire but that seems ridiculous. I tried it and thought I was riding in a hay wagon + the sound of every crack in the road sounded like a gun shot.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
with that size tire I would start with 32 front and 30 rear, then fine tune it for ride and handling. the 265mm (10.5") width on the 7" wheels may be a bit floaty, a couple more PSI would help with that.
observe the sidewall bulge, there should be some in the front, almost none in the rear (if unloaded).

the specs on the door show the pressure needed with a fully loaded vehicle and factory sized tires. the only time I exceeded those pressures was with my Taurus SHO on a road course. the extra stability was needed then.

last week I purchased a set of 30-9.5-15 mounted on 15x8 for the 2000 ex cab 4x4. set them at 34 all around on a 73 degree day, expecting the pressure to drop 2 lbs now that its down in the low 30s.

BTlilred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the fast responses. Max pressure is definately going to be too much, I was just curious if the door pressure would work for oversize tire. Thanks for the tips on dialing in the pressure and the good starting pressure!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree, tire pressure is drivers choice for ride and handling, within reason :)

Lower pressure allows tire's side walls to absorb some bumps, and also has a larger footprint(part of tire that is touching the ground)
i.e. lowering tire pressure down to 12psi when driving in sand for a larger footprint so less likely to sink in.

Higher pressure can make for a stiffer ride and also smaller foorprint for better MPG and less tire wear
The more tire that is touching the road the more friction there is, more friction there is means better traction but also takes more fuel to overcome that friction.
Skinny tires are better for MPG because of less weight and less friction.

Changing the weight in the vehicle can also change tire pressure, how much depends on the tire size and type.
Volume inside the tire can change as you add more weight, but the volume of air stays the same, so as weight is added the bottom of the tire can flatten out reducing the volume inside the tire, but if tire has higher side walls they also deform outward with the weight so volume doesn't change that much.
This is why tire pressure doesn't increase as much as you might think it should as weight is added.
You really don't want to drive too far with deformed sidewalls so it is always good to increase air pressure prior to loading extra weight.

If you live in an area with wide temperature changes over the seasons it isn't a bad idea to run nitrogen in the tires instead of air.
Nitrogen tire pressure doesn't vary much with temperature, like air does.
Racing cars all use nitrogen in the tires, so tire heating up doesn't change the pressure.

And you can mix air and nitrogen, no it doesn't damage anything or explode, lol.
So you can top up nitrogen filled tires with air if there is a leak.
You just start loosing the benefits of stable air pressure in all temps as the percentage of air in the tire gets higher

Last edited:

BTlilred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My biggest concern is making sure I don't get uneven ware on the tires, I just wanted to see what people were running to get a good base to start experimenting

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have been running with 36 psi all around on 245 75 16's . seems to work well for the type of driving i do which is about 70/30 city/highway. i don't usually carry very high weight wise loads in the bed as a general rule.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals