• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Allen wrench bolts

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Anyone else hate Allen wrench bolts?

Just had to drill two out, I always strip these things.

Anyway haha, anyone else?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I have a wheelchair that was built in California...special order...because I'm special...but when I got out of the hospital I had problems with the brakes not holding...so I tried to tighten the brakes.

At first...due to the drugs I was taking and other factors...lighting et al...I thought the heads were torx...so I went through trying to find my torx..and managed to almost strip the heads....then I recently discovered that they were, in fact, Allen Key heads...

So...I tried to find the right one...looked very much like a 4.5 so I went out to buy one...but nobody actually carried that one as a stand alone...

Finally I took one of the bolts out and brought it to the store...and...it turns out that these bolts are all 3/16" because the chair was made in California...

What a PITA...but, fortunately, most stores still carry the SAE sizes and I was able to buy a cheap set...that I will use maybe once every two years...or so...

I don't mind them usually...my Mountain bike had all Allen Key bolts and it held together pretty good over the years I was riding it...

Easy enough to strip the heads...especially if you try using a torx wrench on them...:)

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you have a good quality set allen wrenches/bits. The cheaper ones will round off and destroy your bolts (strip them/round the edges off). I used to do quite a bit of RC's and a good set of allen wrenches made all the difference (the kits usually came with one, but they were mass produced low, quality wrenches).

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Anyone else hate Allen wrench bolts?

Just had to drill two out, I always strip these things.

Anyway haha, anyone else?

Yep.

Would love to kick this "allen" dip---- right in the nuts for such a stupid invention.
Doesn't matter how good your wrenches are either when the bolt head itself deforms. :annoyed:

And another swift kick to anyone else who puts those bolts in locations where they aren't even absolutely necessary for "cosmetic" reasons.

Torx bolts get overused sometimes too, though at least as long as the tip of your wrench doesn't bust off, you'll actually have some chance of success unscrewing a Torx bolt.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I bought these pretty handy "Irvin" extractor bits. Drilled it out and popped the bolts out....

It's on a Chevy btw, go figure haha

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
make sure bolt head is cleaned out.
if rounding of bolt starts, get chart that shows decimal/mm/sae and pick an allen bit a few thousands larger.
use dremel or other small cutoff wheel to cut new tool to very sharp end.
pound new sharp tool into bolt, it will cut a new hole in the bolt.
when turning apply force in rotational direction only, no side force!

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Make sure the socket is clean. Alen key must bottom in socket. If you round it out, peen the metal back into the hole. Drive in key whack end of key with the hammer. If the allen head moved the slightest bit. You've won. :D

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I personally like socket head cap screws, I use them everywhere I can when putting anything back together. For low torque applications and adjustment screws there is nothing easier than a ball driver allen wrench to reach at angles that even a socket with a swivel won't reach if it were a hex head.

When I re did my dodge 4.7 motor (what a piece of crap) I put socket heads intentionally in the exhaust manifolds.

For hard to loosen socket head cap screws they make an impact driver that also works well on large phillips heads. Looks like a fat screwdriver, made so when you whack it on the end it turns the bit.

I have like 99% success with socket head cap screws and a LOT LESS with hex heads for one big reason... except for the stainless steel variety SHCS's are all hardened equivalent to a grade 8 where a hex you can get grade 8, 5 or 2 and you never know which one was used till it ends up rounded.

This is not an opinion this is based on "what I really done" LOL.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Having the same model for 20 yrs. I have my own private BMW junkyard. The rear axles are held in with 12 8mm X 45 ~mm. in hex heads. 8mm = 5/16. I had lots of them. I used 2 to hold the starter in. This allowed me to use the starter bolts elsewhere. I had to destroy several bolts to get the trans out. There are others used here and there. They were a learning experience. How ever, after R+Ring a few, I now fear no allen head. I use 3 tools now. A little screwdriver to dig out the dirt. A regular old Craftsman 8mm allen key with a 5 inch no ball hex. Last, a 1 LB ball peen hammer. Hasn't failed yet. :D

Chewy 12, yah they work great until you shear one :D

My 15 yr old Husqa is held together with 4mm, 5/32 allen heads. Living large with a 1/4 nut driver and a 4mm socket hex.:D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals