• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting on a chassis mounted hitch

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1985 Bronco II and bought a Reese Hitch off a guy that took it off his 1988 Bronco II. This is so I can throw my carryall in it for hunting gear, coolers, etc.

Looks like I'm going to have to drill a couple of holes to mount it up to the chassis; any good ideas out there or any other info I need.

My step bumper has a long piece of steel across the bottom that I'll have to drill through as well (I've put on 3 hitches before on different vehicles); I would have thought at least 1 or 2 sets of holes would be pre-drilled but on this BII I'm going to have to drill all 3 sets.

I'm also not so sure that this thing is going to sit up as high as most of my hitches; it's not real low but most of the hitches I've put on have been relatively "hidden".

buckshotmudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.G0
Transmission
Manual
I'm also not so sure that this thing is going to sit up as high as most of my hitches; it's not real low but most of the hitches I've put on have been relatively "hidden".
If it is lower than what you would prefer, you can get a drop extension and flip it to raise the height. I had this extreme drop/raise hitch made some years ago to give you an idea. A universal fits all truck/trailer combinations.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual

Wasn't so bad; had to cut the hanger for the muffler and move some wires up when I was drilling - didn't want to catch them. Broke a $12 drill bit on the last hole, but had enough of it left to get it done.

The guy I bought the hitch from was awesome - he had all the original bolts and the hanger that came with it for the muffler (it bolted into the hitch) so it came out pretty good.

To make it fit a little tighter up, I moved it 1/4 inch past the metal plate that ran along the bumper and put all 3 into the chassis.

Not that big of a deal for you good mechanics but since it was just me, a floorjack and some bad words I think I did alright!:icon_thumby:

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
If it is lower than what you would prefer, you can get a drop extension and flip it to raise the height. I had this extreme drop/raise hitch made some years ago to give you an idea. A universal fits all truck/trailer combinations.
Now, that is awesome! I've got a welder and some 2 inch tubes...think I'm gonna give this a try! If not, I know my brother can make one (he has a lot better equipment at work).

That thing would be great to keep loads level and stress off the tongue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals