• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 b3000 tow an explorer?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so my mom gave me her 02 and while i was up here visiting, well now i need to take 2 vehicles home and i cant just drive 1.)the explorer. (no plates, registration, or anything, other than a bill of sale for the wrong state) so i need to tow it out, i found a hitch for 2.)the 02 mazda, but i want to know do you think the 02 b3000 4x4 5sp will do ok towing the explorer on a dolly or not?....... if so my 88 has a a 4.0 engine for when the 2.9 dies again:yahoo: (hopes it wont:sad:)

specs:
2002 mazda b3000 4x4 3.0l 5sp. ext. cab.
1998 explorer sport 4.0l sohc auto .

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have no doubt it would tow it but I would not like to try stopping it. Find someone with a full size and rent a trailer with brakes.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I towed this across the lower peninsula of Michigan 180 miles or so. We put the hood back on, packed the bed of the Ranger flat, packed the bed of the J10 full of parts and stuffed even more into the cab of the J10, my friend rode back with me.

It's doable, I'd do it at night like we did. Take your time and don't drive fast, piss everyone off behind you if you need to, they'll have their chance to pass. You've got an extended cab, so you'll have a bit longer wheelbase for stability. Just take it slow.

By the way, mine's a 4 cylinder, and that's with the old axle with 3.73 gears. I now have a 2500 GMC, for similar occasions as this one.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It will tow it just fine as long as you take it easy and plan your stops/starts.

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I can't believe none of you asked this guy his gear ratio!
If you got 3.27 gears in that 3.0Ltr, I wouldn't try towing anything with it, you're just going to burn up your clutch. If it's 3.73 or 4.10 gears it should struggle through it. Take your time and don't push it.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I towed a 99 Explorer with a dolly over 300 miles from NJ to NC using my 2000 3.0 4wd MO5D. It has 4.10s and smaller than stock tires (235/75-15).

It did fine but braking requires planning. Leave yourself plenty of room!
If you are climbing mountains and hills (Colorado) you will use a lot of 3rd gear. RPMs will be your friend. I recommend absolutely forgetting about 5th gear even being there, even downhill. I used a lot of engine braking, anticipated traffic lights by continuing to roll slowly toward red lights waiting for the green. That way you use less clutch.

About the clutch, I pulled out at just over idle, got the clutch fully engaged, THEN lightly accelerated. You can burn through a clutch pretty quick if you don't baby it at low rpms when pulling out. I would basically get it to start to roll by feathering the clutch out (idle+), then let the rpms die down to idle and ease it fully out to match the rolling speed. You'll get the knack pretty quick if you concentrate on using just enough engine speed to get rolling, then ease it the rest of the way out. I would droop the rpms such that the oil gage would flicker on occasion, yes that low when pulling out from a stop.

Try to stay in the engine powerband and forget about getting any gas mileage. Mine will pull well from 2800 up. It hits a good power point at about 3400 and can run between those rpms all day long. That is what I recommend, having done what you propose.

If you find that yours has 3.73s, you may need to bump it up to 3000 from 2800 to get it pull well. Tire size will matter too.

IMPORTANT!!! Remove the rear drive shaft from the Explorer after putting it on the dolly.
Otherwise you WILL burn up the automatic transmission. Period, end of story. WILL BURN IT UP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so spite my efforrts the exploder didnt come home with me :dunno: but i parked it at a friends house so next time i will come prepared....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals